Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

1993 Ford Ranger: drive shaft..cyl..Manual says remove bolts..wrench

Customer Question

How do I remove drive shaft from 1993 Ford Ranger 4-cyl, 5-speed manual transmission? Manual says remove bolts at rear u-joint, but they seem to have some odd head. Do they require a special socket wrench? Power tool? What?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

To remove the bolts fron the rear yoke you will need a a 12 mm 12 point socker. Once you have the four bolts out the drive shaft will slide off.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
A 12-point socket? Just to be clear, "normal" is 6-point, correct? I was able to get a 13mm 12-point (?) socket on it, but I was moving the entire truck trying to get it to loosen, so I was afraid of "stripping" the bolt head. It didn't budge. Do I just need to clean the bolt head in order to get a 12mm 12-point socket to slide on? Am I going to need to go purchase an "air hammer" to break these things loose?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Yes normal is 6 points, yes its a 12 point 12 mm socket and they use locktite on them. Its is best if you have an impact to get them loose. If you have access to an air compressor, some part stores have a loan a tool program.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do have an air compressor, yes. I will check on borrowing or renting or "loaning" or just buying an impact wrench. I notice the photo of the socket has a "ball joint". Should I buy a 12mm 12-point special socket while I'm at it? All I have is normal home-owner garage tools. American, Metric socket sets, 1/4" to 1/2" sets, stuff like that. JUST got a small air compressor for inflating tires.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Yes and make sure you buy the wobbly type like the picture I sent. Its defiantly a 12mm (metric) socket. You will need a good strong 3/8s drive air impact and make sure the socket is 3/8 drive impact as well.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, MANY thanks! It just helps to know that I'm on the right track and my problem is the locktite and that an air wrench was used in the first place. No wonder the bolts are so difficult to loosen! Have a good day.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Yes they use the locktite because they do not want the bolts to come loose. It should come right off with a good impact. Thank you very much as well.