Steve S
Steve S, Ford Technician
Experience:  10 years in Ford Dealership, Certified in: Auto Trans, Diesel Engines, Climate Control, Electrical D

2005 F250: 6.0 Diesel..Runs rough on a cold start..going down

Customer Question

2005 F250, 6.0 Diesel 4x4 - Runs rough on a cold start, at first, going through two warm up cycles made it better. Now, it will start, but will run rough, and may shut off going down the road. If I let it run rough a few minutes and turn it off and wait a few minutes, or it shuts off and I restart it (will not restart for a few minutes)it runs great...The engine does not seem to "choke". It is more like it cannot get the idle correct, as the rpm will go up and down a couple of hundred rpm. Had new fuel filters installed at 90,000. Currently has 91,000. Thanks, Virgil.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve S replied 5 years ago.
Hi there virgil. Has the check engine light come on? Have you had any recent repairs done to the truck? Could i possibly get the VIN number? Steve
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The Check Engine Light has not been on. I had a full service at 90,000, including oil, filter, fuel filters, air filter, trannie, both differ., transfer case, and power steering.

I had the alternator replaced a while back, as was the oil pressure relief valve, and before that a new turbo...

Here is the VIN: 1FTSW21P15EA36904

The way it switched off is reminiscent of the way a 1978 F150 (Explorer) that I owned used to do. On it I replaced the compute module and that fixed it.

When this shutoff happens, all electrical is fine; dash is lit up, headlights were still on, bells sounding to tell me that I opened the door, etc.

Expert:  Steve S replied 5 years ago.

Hi I have attached a message from Ford on what I think may be going on with your truck. This indicates that the Fuel Injector Control Module may be at fault which I think may be right on the money. This will cause the concerns that you are talking about. Since the truck is still under warranty until September I would recommmend taking it to the dealership and have them fix it for your 100.00. You would need the scan tool from frod to do most of the testing to actually ver9ify that the FICM is at fault, so that means that there is no actual way for you to do this at home unfortunetly. Bu this is what may be going on in your case. Thank you Steve

DRIVEABILITY - NO START, HARD START, RUNS ROUGH - FUEL INJECTION CONTROL MODULE DIAGNOSIS - 6.0L DIESEL
SOME 2003-2005 EXCURSION, 2003-2007 F-SUPER DUTY AND 2004-2009 E-SERIES VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 6.0L DIESEL ENGINE MAY EXPERIENCE NO STARTS, HARD STARTS OR ROUGH RUNNING WHEN COLD AND MAY BE ACCOMPANIED WITH DTCS P0611, P1378 AND/OR ALL 8 INJECTOR CIRCUIT CODES. THESE SYMPTOMS MAY LESSEN OR DISAPPEAR WHEN THE ENGINE IS WARM. THESE CONDITIONS MAY BE CAUSED BY THE FUEL INJECTION CONTROL MODULE (FICM) OR INJECTOR SPOOL VALVE STICKING INTERNALLY DURING COLD ENGINE OPERATION. FOLLOW THE SERVICE PROCEDURE STEPS TO CORRECT THE CONDITION

Steve S, Ford Technician
Experience: 10 years in Ford Dealership, Certified in: Auto Trans, Diesel Engines, Climate Control, Electrical D
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, Steve!
Expert:  Steve S replied 5 years ago.
You are very welcome Steve