Fordanswerman
Fordanswerman, Ford Motor Company Certified Tech
Experience:  Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0
577462

How do I disable the child locks on a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac?

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Fordanswerman replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

You are talking about the rear doors correct? They both will not open from the inside correct?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That is correct--the rear doors are the only doors that would ever have child locks on them.

Thanks.

Open the rear doors and on the door latch area of the door, there will be a lever that you move up or down. Move it to the appropriate position to turn it on or off.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I should have phrased my question better because that is my issue. Those latches on the rear doors are not functioning. No matter which position I put them in the Child Locks remain engaged. I have to open the door from the outside to let my rear-seated passengers out of the vehicle.

Any other suggestions?

Ok, move the lever to the unlock position. Leave the door opened and watch the latch and the lever as you use the inside door opening handle. Do you see anything moving as far as the latch or the child lock lever? You may to do this several times. What I'm trying to do here is to figure out if it is the latch that is bad or the inside door handle that is broken. If you can see movement on the child lever and/or door latch mechanism, then more than likely the inside door handle is ok, and the door latch will need to be replaced. If you see no movement at all, replace the inside door handle.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What about taking the inside panel out and checking there? The thing is, I've seen this issue on other blogs (meaning other SportTrac owners have experienced this issue with child locks), but never a complete solution. This suggests to me it is the child lock, not the inside door handle.

I'll try your suggestion, but am out of town and won't be able to get to it until Friday. In the meantime, can you suggest what I might look for if I remove at least that panel surrounding the inside door handle?

Thanks!

Thanks

The child lock is part of the latch assembly. That is why I was having you look at the latch when you move the inside door handle. If you see any movement in the latch and child lever then the inside door handle probably ok and the latch is needing to be replaced.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am out of town and will check this and reply tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Ok

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have tried the indoor handle and looked at both the latch and the child lock. Neither moved when I tried the indoor handle--regardless of the position of the child lock. How can I repair this?

Ok, remove the door panel to watch the rod from the interior door handle over to the door latch. We want to make sure that the rod didn't drop of bend, etc.

If the rod doesn't move, then you will need to replace the inside door handles. What happens sometimes is the teeth on the door handle strip. They are plastic.

Thanks

Rear door removal

Rear Door Trim Panel

Removal and Installation

High Series Door Trim Panels

1. Remove the rear door window control switch panel.
    • Disconnect the electrical connector.

All Door Trim Panels

1. Remove the door handle cup screws.
  1. Remove the door handle cup.

Low Series Door Trim Panels

1. Remove the screw and the window regulator handle.

All Door Trim Panels

1. Remove the rear door trim panel.
    1. Remove the screw.
    1. Remove the rear door trim panel.
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Let me know if you can see the pics ok.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks very much for sending, but unfortunately, I can't view the pictures. Is there someway to resend so that I can see the?

A separate page launches http://www.justanswer.com/view_image.aspx?href=http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/auxf/~WS-V-B/1881/A0014565.gif

but all that appears is a red dot in the upper left corner.

Look forward to your next reply.

Sorry about that. Try this.

Thanks

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've got one of the panels off. Do you have any diagrams that show the latching mechanism (including child locks and interior door handle) from the INSIDE? I've had a look at what's going on, but cannot say for certain what it is. It's still hard for me to tell if it's the child lock or the door handle

Also, is there somewhere I could purchase the interior door handle (whole component) in the even that's the issue?

Thanks again for your help.

Sorry, I don't have a real clear picture of that. But since you have the door panel off, look for the rod that goes from the inside door handle over to the door latch. When you pull on the inside door handle, the rod should push towards the latch mechanism. If it does not, you need a inside door handle. Those can be purchased at your local Ford dealer parts.

Thanks

Experience: Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Have had a closer look and it looks like the interior latch is the problem. If I pull the rod in the direction of the latch, the latch opens. In fact, if I pull slightly back on the rod, and then use the handle, the door latch will open. Something inside the handle is not catching.

I don't see how I can replace that that handle, because of the way the rod is attached to the door handle. I'll get with my mechanic about that.

Thanks for your help.

You are very welcome.

Thanks