Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

how to time a twin cam zetec motor 2000 ford escort zx2

Customer Question

I have a 2000 escort zx2 zetec motor and I have to time the cams but there are no timing marks on the sprockets and the conventinal tool to hold the back of the cams in place and in time
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 5 years ago.

a tool to lock the cams can be made from a 9" long by 1" wide piece of flat iron,you will need to file it down a bit to fit in the slots on the back of the cam and a 5/16X4" bolt will work for the crank locating pin.Here is the shop manual procedure for it.

SECTION 303-01B: Engine - 2.0L Zetec2000 Escort Workshop Manual
IN-VEHICLE REPAIRProcedure revision date: 10/13/2003

Timing Drive Components - Timing Belt

Special Tool(s)
Crankshaft TDC Timing Peg
303-574 (T97P-6000-A)
Camshaft Alignment Timing Tool
303-465 (T94P-6256-CH)

Removal

1. Grasp the spark plug boot firmly and with a twisting pulling motion, disconnect the spark plug wires from the spark plugs.
  1. NOTE: If an original spark plug is reused, install it in the same cylinder from which it was removed. New spark plugs can be used in any cylinder.

NOTE: Use compressed air to remove any foreign material from the spark plug well before removing the spark plugs.

Remove the spark plugs.
  1. Remove the valve cover. For additional information, refer to Valve Cover in this section.
  1. Disconnect the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) electrical connector.
  1. Remove the timing belt covers. For additional information, refer to Timing Drive Components - Timing Belt Covers in this section.
  1. Remove the catalytic converter. For additional information, refer to Section 309-00.
  1. NOTE: Cylinder No. 1 is at top dead center (TDC) when the keyway is in the 12 o'clock position.

Position cylinder No. 1 just prior to TDC.
  1. Remove the stud bolt.
  1. Install the crankshaft TDC timing peg.
  1. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise against the timing peg.
  1. CAUTION: If the camshaft timing belt is to be reused, mark the direction of the camshaft timing belt to the rotation of the camshaft prior to removal, or premature wear or failure may occur.

Relieve the tension on the timing belt tensioner pulley.
    • Loosen the tensioner pulley bolt.
    • Release the tension on the timing belt by disconnecting the tensioner tab from the timing cover back plate.
  1. Remove the timing belt.
    • Slide the timing belt off the camshaft sprockets and the crankshaft sprocket.
  1. Inspect the timing belt for wear. Install a new timing belt as required.

Installation

1. CAUTION: The camshaft must be held stationary at the hexagons with locking pliers. Do not use the alignment tool to hold the camshaft in position or damage to the camshaft may occur.

NOTE: To loosen the camshaft pulleys, hold the camshafts by the hexagon.

Loosen the camshaft pulleys.
    1. Remove the blanking plug from the exhaust camshaft pulley.
    1. Loosen the exhaust camshaft pulley bolt.
    1. Loosen the intake camshaft pulley bolt.
  1. NOTE: Rotate the camshafts clockwise as necessary.

Install the camshaft alignment timing tool on the back of the camshafts.

Confirm the crankshaft position is at TDC (No. 1 cylinder) by rotating it clockwise against the alignment peg.
  1. CAUTION: Do not rotate the crankshaft; as necessary check that it is still resting against the timing pin.

NOTE: The lug of the belt tensioner should not be hooked in the sheet metal cover during timing belt installation.

Position a new timing belt in place.
    • Starting from the crankshaft timing belt pulley and working counterclockwise, position the timing belt in place while keeping it under tension.
  1. NOTE: Incorrect timing belt tension will cause incorrect valve timing.

Pretension the timing belt.
    1. Rotate the tensioner locating tab counterclockwise and insert the locating tab into the slot in the rear timing cover.
    1. Position the hex key slot in the tensioner adjusting washer to the 4 o'clock position.
    1. Tighten the attaching bolt enough to seat the tensioner firmly against the rear timing cover, but still allow the tensioner adjusting washer to be rotated using a 6 mm (0.23 in) hex key.
  1. CAUTION: Tension the timing belt, working counterclockwise.

Using the hex key, rotate the adjusting washer counterclockwise until the notch in the pointer is centered over the index line on the locating tab (the pointer will move clockwise during adjustment).
  1. While holding the adjusting washer in position, tighten the bolt.

Tighten the bolt on the intake camshaft sprocket.

Tighten the bolt on the exhaust camshaft sprocket in three stages.
    • Stage 1: Tighten the bolt to 50 Nm (36 lb-ft).
    • Stage 2: Remove the TDC peg and the camshaft alignment timing tool.
    • Stage 3: Tighten the bolt to 115-125 Nm (85-92 lb-ft).
  1. NOTE: Install a new oil plug seal.

Screw in the new oil plug on the variable camshaft timing assembly.
  1. NOTE: Turn the engine two turns in the normal direction of rotation by the crankshaft.

Check the valve timing by inserting the special tools and correct the alignment as necessary.
    • Screw in special tool 303-574 and make sure that the crankshaft is resting against the special tool.
    • Insert special tool 303-465 into the camshafts. If necessary loosen the timing pulleys and correct the camshaft alignment.
    • Remove the special tools.
  1. Install the stud bolt.
  1. Install the catalytic converter. For additional information, refer to Section 309-00.
  1. Install the timing belt covers. For additional information, refer to Timing Drive Components - Timing Belt Covers in this section.
  1. Install the valve cover. For additional information, refer to Valve Cover in this section.
  1. Connect the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) electrical connector.
  1. Install the spark plugs.
  1. NOTE: Whenever an ignition wire is reinstalled, or a new wire is installed, apply dielectric compound to the interior surface of the spark plug wire boot.

Connect the ignition wires to the spark plugs.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

one thing that 9 inch flat steel will not work the cams are below the surface of the top of the head I know my manual shows the cam slots line up perfectly with the top of head?

Expert:  Ray M. replied 5 years ago.

If you look at the back of the camshafts you will see that the slot is offset,you will need to turn the cams 180* so the slot is on the upside of the cam,then the home made tool will work the same as the factory tool would.