Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2005 Ford Taurus: fuse box..I assume that the cruise control switch is

My cruise control quit on my 2005 Ford Taurus. I checked the fuse box and the fuse is good. I assume that the cruise control switch is bad. If it is bad, will I have to pull the steering column to replace it. I am not certain that I have the expertise to pull it. Help!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

I wouldn't assume the switch is bad, I would run the test to see first.

Verify the power feed at pin 7 Orange (OG) wire and the ground at pin 10 Black (BK) wire will carry a load (such as a headlamp bulb).

If the power and ground are OK, verify pin 9 Tan/Orange (TN/OG) wire will also carry a load. Use a lower amperage load such as a #1157 light bulb to load the circuit. If the TN/OG wire does not maintain full battery voltage with a load on it, jump the brake pressure switch and recheck operation. If it then works, replace the brake pressure switch and recheck operation.

If the brake pressure switch is working, use a Digital Volt-Ohm Meter (DVOM) to check pin 4 Red/Light Green (RD/LG) wire. Verify with the key on and everything connected that it shows no more than 0.2v with the brake pedal released and then shows full battery voltage with the pedal applied. If it does not, check for a voltage drop between the servo and the brake on/off switch.

If the brake on/off switch, brake pressure switch, the control switches, and powers and grounds all check good, monitor the vehicle speed sensor input signal on pin 3 Grey/Black (GY/BK) wire. The wire should have a square wave signal that increases with vehicle speed.

If all inputs are OK, verify the cable if connected at the throttle linkage and not broken between the servo and throttle.

If the cable and all inputs are OK, suspect either a bad connection at the servo or a faulty servo if it will not apply

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am not certain that I have the expertise to do all of those tests. I guess that I will have to take it to the Ford Dealership in my city. I know that they charge $95 per hour just to diagnose the problem and then $95 per hour plus parts to fix it.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

Any good tech could do the above test and perhaps save you some money. I wish I had an easy answer , but I do not with out guessing and I don't want to see you waste money for unneeded parts.