Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

94 Ford Ranger: pickup..the ignition switch and the key lock cylinder

I have a 94 Ford Ranger pickup and the key won't turn in the ignition switch. I have a repair manual that differentiates between the ignition switch and the key lock cylinder. What is the difference, and is this a part that is easily replaced by a DIYer. The manual states that to replace the key lock cylinder, the steering wheel and column need to be removed, but not to replace the ignition switch. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

If the key dosnt turn then you will need to drill out the release pin. I am enclosing the instructions . You do not need to remove the steering column , just the steering wheel. The key lock (key and tumbler) isnt the ignition switch. Your replacing the key and tumbler.