davehop, Ford Technician
Experience:  Fully certified in all phases of automotive repair as recognized and certified by Ford Motor Company

What is the problem and fix for the PTU leaks on 2008 Ford Edge AWD

Hello and welcome to JA, there is a TSB, technical service bulletin, to replace the PTU seals and the dust cap. It is a common problem and we do a ton of them. The repair is covered under factory warranty, and must be done at the dealer due to the need of the special service tools that are beeded for both removal and installation of the seals to ensure no PTU damage.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

This is not the fix. Some people have had the seal replaced 4 or 5 times. Some have had the entire PTU unit replaced, and still the leak returns. Is a real fix for this problem?

The repair will not work if the special service tools are not used, I have personally done at least 25 of these repairs and the only one that did not fix it was the first one I did without the special tools. I have instructed other guys in my shop who did not use the special tools and we did the repeat repair with the special tools the 2nd time and no more problems. I have seen guys need to replace the PTU unit due to it being damaged during seal replacement or the fact that since they replaced the seals and it still leaked the unit must be faulty, but trust me with the proper tools the repair does in fact work.