Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.
2921078

How do you change the ignition on a 1994 ford escort 1.

Customer Question

How do you change the ignition on a 1994 ford escort 1.9 automatic
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Hi there! Are you trying to replace the ignition switch? The key cylinder?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
both
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
OK. Here is the procedure for the key switch and the ignition switch.Should all be one part on this i believe. Hope this helps! Thanks

Before continuing with this procedure, make sure to have available a new steering wheel retaining bolt and two lock cylinder retaining bolts. Once removed, these parts lose their torque holding ability (or retention capability) and must not be reused.

1. If equipped, disarm the air bag system and disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the steering wheel.
  3. Remove the combination switch.
  4. Unplug the wiring connector to the ignition switch.
  5. Remove the ignition and shifter interlock cable mounting bracket bolt and position the assembly to one side.
  6. Remove the four steering column bracket bolts and lower the steering column.
  7. Cut a groove in the ignition cylinder bracket bolts with a chisel and hammer or use a similar method.
  8. Using a screwdriver, remove and discard the bracket bolts.
  9. Remove the ignition switch lock cylinder and bracket.
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 1: Unfasten the ignition and shifter interlock cable mounting bracket bolt, and position the assembly to one side
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 2: Use a chisel and hammer to cut a groove in the ignition cylinder bracket bolts-1991-96 models shown; 1997-99 models similar
To install:
  1. Install the new ignition switch and the bracket into position on the steering column tube.
  2. Install the new lock cylinder bolts and tighten the bolts enough to hold the switch in position.
  3. Check for proper switch operation by rotating the key to each position. If necessary, reposition the lock cylinder until it operates properly.
  4. If positioned properly, tighten the retaining bolts until the bolt head shears off.
  5. Raise and position the steering column. Tighten the bracket bolts to 80-124 inch lbs. (9-14 Nm).
  6. If equipped with tilt column, remove the upper mounting bracket retaining pin.
  7. Position the interlock cable bracket. Install and tighten the retaining bolt to 35-53 inch lbs. (4-6 Nm).
  8. Attach the wiring connector to the ignition switch.
  9. Install the combination switch.
  10. Connect the negative battery cable.
  11. Confirm operational status of the air bag system by turning the ignition key to the RUN position and visually monitoring the air bag indicator lamp in the instrument cluster. The indicator lamp should illuminate for approximately 6 seconds and then turn OFF. If the indicator lamp does not illuminate, stays ON, or flashes at any time, a fault has been detected by the air bag diagnostic monitor.
  12. Check the steering wheel, horn and combination switch functions for proper operation.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
To put one back in is it easy
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Should not be to difficult, you just have to get it all lined up prior to snapping the heads off the new bolts. Make sure it works before you do that and you should be fine
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
to put one back in is it easy
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Yes, it is a simple process. Once you have the old one out it is typically easier to install the new one because you will know hands on what has to be done.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience: 25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks alot youve been very helpful
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
You are very welcome! Thanks for the accept!