Tim
Tim, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified
9591582

How do I replace the pedal assembly in my 97 ford ranger

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Auto or Manual trans?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Manual trans. It is the Clutch and break assembly in the cab
Expert:  Tim replied 7 years ago.

Ok. Here is the instructions.

Manual Transmission

Removal

1. Disconnect the wires to the stoplight switch located below instrument panel.

1. Remove the hairpin clip, slide the stoplight switch, the brake pedal push rod, the nylon brake master cylinder push rod spacer and brake master cylinder push rod bushing away from the brake pedal pin.

1. Remove the brake master cylinder push rod bushing and then the stoplight switch from the brake pedal push rod by sliding stoplight switch up or down.

1. Disconnect the clutch master cylinder push rod from the clutch pedal (7519).

1. Disconnect the clutch pedal position switch (CPP) (11A152) from the clutch master cylinder push rod.

1. Remove the retainer from the clutch pedal shaft.

1. Remove the clutch pedal and clutch pedal shaft from the brake and clutch bracket.

1. Remove the brake pedal.

1. Remove the spring washer and inner brake master cylinder push rod bushings from the brake pedal.

1. Remove the outer brake master cylinder push rod bushings from the brake and clutch pedal bracket.

Installation

1. Inspect the brake master cylinder push rod bushings for signs of wear or damage; replace if required. Relubricate the brake master cylinder push rod bushings with a light coating of SAE 30 XO-30-QSD or -DSD, -BSD or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESE-M2C153-E.

1. Insert the two outer brake master cylinder push rod bushings in the brake and clutch pedal bracket.

1. Place the brake pedal, inner brake master cylinder push rod bushings and spring washer in position inside the brake and clutch pedal bracket.

1. Insert the clutch pedal and clutch pedal shaft through the bracket and brake pedal sleeve.

1. Install the retainer on the end of the clutch pedal shaft.

1. Connect the clutch pedal position switch on the clutch master cylinder push rod.

1. Connect the clutch master cylinder push rod to the clutch pedal.

1. Install the stoplight switch on the brake pedal.

1. Connect the brake pedal push rod and stoplight switch to the pin on the brake pedal.

1. Install the brake master cylinder push rod spacer and spring retainer attaching the stoplight switch and brake pedal push rod to the brake pedal.

1. Connect the wires to the stoplight switch.

1. Adjust the clip on the clutch pedal position switch.

1. Check system for correct operation.

ItemPart NumberDescription
1 2457 Brake Pedal Pad
2 2L252 Brake and Clutch Pedal Bracket
3 97414-S Retainer
4 2455 Brake Pedal
5 353574-S7M Washer
6 2471 Brake and Clutch Pedal Bushing
7 7519 Clutch Pedal

graphic