Scottdagoalie
Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.
Experience:  30 years with Ford dealers
13762030

1993 Ford Probe GT: 000 mi..alternator..to 2500-3000 rpm..jump

Customer Question

Have a 1993 Ford Probe GT, 246,000 mi. Has started draining the battery, (would normally indicate alternator), but in addition, the idle will suddenly run up to 2500-3000 rpm. Sometimes it will stay there, often it will jump up and down. When it idles normally, the Check Engine light is on, and the Electrical Guage reads low, and the lights all dim. When the idle shoots up, the Check Engine light goes off, and the Electrical Guage reads about normal, and the lights are all normal brightness; it will also sputter and lurch. If it happens to stall (which is easy to do when the idle is high and you try to start out from a red light), it is often very hard to start (similar to vapor lock) if in fact the battery isn't drained. Unless the ground terminal from the battery is disconnected, the battery will discharge overnight or sooner. Fuel consumption is also way up, around 12-16 mpg instead of the usual 23 mpg. While the vehicle is fairly high mileage, it normally pretty runs quite good and reliable, and has been pretty trouble-free throughout it's life (I am the only owner). This is my baby, and I have 2 other '93 GT's. This one and one of the others will be fixed up real nice with good eng/trans for my boys in the next couple years. In the meantime, this problem with this one is somewhat perplexing, this is the worst problem this car has ever had. It's still driveable, but you can't go real far, and you best carry an extra battery, and slink down in your seat when you're sitting at a red light and the engine's revving at 3000 rpm! Please feel free to ask any questions that you feel may help. Thanks.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scottdagoalie replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What type of engine is in your Ford?
-What have you already tried?
-Have you had it tested for fault codes?
Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Engine is the 2.5 l V6 DOHC 24V. I haven't rukncodes recently, but I'll try again and let you know what comes up (if it doesn't zero them out, being that the battery is unhooked). When I ran them before when the problem initially started, I had a VRIS code, among others. So far, I have run fuel system cleaner, changed the air filter, and checked all the hoses, ducts, tubes, and wires/connections.
The problem with the battery draining is most likely caused by a draw in the system.One way to test for draws is to use a test light,disconnect the negative post on the battery and clip one end of the test light onto the terminal end of the battery and the other side to the cable you removed from the battery.If you have a bright light on the test light ,you have a significant draw. Start to remove fuses to isolate the cause of the draw. This may be related to the running problem so try and see if you can get a fix on the draws location first.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will see if I can find my test light, and I will also see if I can run fresh codes for you. Not sure if I have multiple problems, or single problem with multiple symptoms.

Brent

Ok thanks.Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Scottdagoalie,

I checked the draw at the battery terminals per your procedure, but test light didn't have even the faintest glow.

I then re-ran my codes, both cold and warm. First, I'll give you the old codes, about a year or so old (engine at running temp): 9,15,23,24,41,46.

Since then, apparently some of those codes seem to have been cleared, and the only codes that showed today are as follows: Cold - 41,46; Warm - 9,41,46.

These are, of course, in the OBD-1 system. My Haynes manual (please don't laugh too hard) indicates a Coolant Temp Sensor Fault for the Code 9, and it doesn't list the codes 41 or 46.

I don't believe I have a whole lot more information I can give you from here other than to answer any other questions you may have, so it's all back to you buddy! Even if we don't completely solve it, it would help just to know where to best start poking around. Thanks!

Brent

Here is a code chart that may help. I'll do some more research and get back to you.

On Board Diagnostics I B PCED

QT7 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE CHART

*
    Diagnostic Trouble Code Component Pinpoint Test Step Direction
    (Refer to Section 6B )
    1.3L 1.6L 1.8L 2.0L 4EAT 2.5L
    01 Ignition Diagnostic Monitor IDM
    02 CKP Sensor CKP CKP CKP1 CKP2
    03 CID Sensor CID CID CID CID
    04 CKP Sensor CKP1
    05 Knock Sensor KS
    08 Air Flow Meter VAF VAF VAF MAF MC-VAF
    09 ECT Sensor ECT ECT ECT ECT ECT
    10 IAT Sensor IAT IAT IAT IAT
    11 IAT Sensor IAT
    12 TP Sensor TP TP TP TP
    14 BARO Sensor BARO BARO BARO BARO BARO
    15 (Heated) Oxygen Sensor O2S O2S O2S HO2S HO2S
    16 EGRT Sensor/EVP Sensor EGRT EVP
    17 (Heated) Oxygen Sensor O2S O2S O2S HO2S HO2S
    23 Heated Oxygen Sensor HO2S
    24 Heated Oxygen Sensor HO2S
    25 FPRC Solenoid SCG SCG SCG SCG
    26 CANP Solenoid SCG SCG SCG SCG SCG
    28 EVR Solenoid/EGRC Solenoid SCG SCG
    29 EGRV Solenoid SCG
    34 IAC Solenoid SCG SCG SCG SCG SCG
    41 HSIA Solenoid/VRIS1 Solenoid SCG SCG
    46 VRIS2 Solenoid SCG
    67 LFAN Relay ROC ROC
    68 HFAN Relay ROC
    69 ECTF Sensor ECTF ECTF
    Codes Not Listed PGC PGC PGC PGC PGC
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So, Coolant Temp Sensor, and the VRIS "array". OK, let me know what you find out with your research. Thanks so much.

Brent

Did you leave the positibe post connected when checking for a draw?Create a draw by turning headlights on to make sure you are connected up to test for draws correctly. Sorry if I wasn't clear on how to do it.

Coolant temp code refers to a faulty sensor or wiring to sensor.

1993 Probe

Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor

The ECT sensor is mounted in the intake manifold and is used to detect coolant temperature throughout the engine temperature range. The ECT sensor provides this information to the PCM for use in calculating the fuel injection amount

Vris 1 + 2 refers to :
1 Variable Resonance Induction System (VRIS) Shutter Valve (1)
2 Variable Resonance Induction System (VRIS) Shutter Valves (2)

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Scottdagoalie, I did leave the +ive post connected, did not create my own draw. Will be at work all day today, will try later tonight or more likely tomorrow.

Brent

Ok,let me know.
Please check the accept tab for my help,you can revisit this page even after you've accepted.I will continue to help ! Thanks!