Scottdagoalie
Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.
Experience:  30 years with Ford dealers
13762030

2002 explorer: heard loud knocking coming..car stalled..stay started

I have a 2002 explorer heard loud knocking coming from the front and then the car stalled and then it would start but it would not stay started?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scottdagoalie replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-How many miles are on your Ford?
-What type of engine is in your Ford?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It has 128,000 miles and is aXXXXX 6 cylinder. Haven't tried anything yet.
Could you tell where the knocking noise was coming from and how long did it last? The truck starts and wont stay running right now? Can you hold the accelerator down slightly to keep it running? Let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The sound comes from the very front of the engine and it will not stay running even if you keep your foot on the accellerator.
The problem is most likely in the front timing chain . The tensioner has failed and the Cam timing has probably jumped timing. A compression test will confirm this and the chain guides with tensioner will need to be replaced.The cam will need to be reset to repair this concern. Remove the left valve cover assembly and inspect the chain for excessive play.