Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech & ASE Master w/14 yrs exp. Served on Ford's Tech Review Panel
15033637

FORD: the car stalled in the middle of the hwy raising our concern

Customer Question

Car is 6 months old with 7500 Miles on it. At 6500 Miles we started experiencing the problem . It did it three times in less than a week, the fourth time the car stalled in the middle of the hwy   raising our concern and taking it to the FORD dealer. They could not detect any problem in the system and releasing the vehicle the same day. 3 day after this incident , it happened again this time we decided to have the car towed back to the dealer. At this time we do not have a response from the dealer
Category: Ford
Expert:  Michael replied 5 years ago.
Customer does it stall when driving or slowing to a stop? Does it restart? Why did you get it towed?

Thank you,

Michael

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dear XXXXX:

The car stalls running at any speed. While in the HWY I was driving 60 MPH. When you try to turn it back on it star cranking by itself several times so I let it rest for about 1 minute and try again it re-start with no problem and can run for the rest of the day without reproducing the problem.

Expert:  Michael replied 5 years ago.
Customer do you have the Edge's VIN number handy? If so would you send it to me?

Thank you,

Michael

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
VIN # XXXXX
Expert:  Michael replied 5 years ago.
Customer sorry for the delay in my response. I have been doing some research. Have you had any warning lights? Like a check engine light or wrench light? Any warning messages in the dash?

Thank you,

Michael

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No untill stalling, engine shuts off and check engine/oil/ and other lights turn on.
Expert:  Michael replied 5 years ago.
Customer there are numerous things that could cause your problem.

Honestly in my experience, the Edges are very trouble free vehicles. The one problem though is when there is a problem, it is a very complex to diagnose problem. I have seen a few with very odd electrical issues that have taken a lot of time to figure out. Unfortunately none of them have been stalling problems.

If I were working on it I would focus on three possibilities.

The first possibility would be a fuel pressure loss causing the stall. Fuel pumps can fail intermittantly causing stalling problems at times. The one problem I have with this theory is this. Usually fuel pumps will fail when they are hot. They may cool and restart, but it takes more than a minute. This is also usually a progressively worsening problem.

The second is a loss of engine computer function. There are no less than six computers in the Edge that are networked together to make sure everything is working well together. The antilock braking module tells the powertrain computer how fast the vehicle is moving so the powertrain computer knows when to shift. That is just one example of how they work together. If any one module on the network fails it can, depending on the failure, shut down the entire network and essentially shut the vehicle down. Even if the modules are ok, a sensor that is going bad can short out and shut the computer down and cause a very similar concern.

From there it could even be a loose wire in the network, power, or ground circuits that could cause intermittant issues with the modules and communication network.

If there is a network issue each module on the network will set codes stating the module cannot communicate with the other modules. Usually all the modules, except the one that is failing, will have these codes. The one that is shutting down usually does not know what is going on and will not set a code. From there you need to figure out if a sensor is going bad, a wire is loose, or the module itself is failing.

You could also have a throttle body problem. But these always cause a light to come on in the dash. A wrench light and check engine light. So, I highly doubt this is your problem.

If you talk to the dealer soon, ask them if they got any codes. If they did ask them for ALL of the codes make sure they tell you which codes are from which module. They should check all the modules for codes. If you get the codes send them to me. I may not be able to determine an exact cause, but I could possibly give you an idea of where to look.

Hope this helps, if you have any further questions do not hesitaet to ask.

Michael

The technician

Michael, Ford Senior Master Technician
Experience: Ford Senior Master Tech & ASE Master w/14 yrs exp. Served on Ford's Tech Review Panel
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your information. I am supposed to pick up the car tomorrow and hopefully this issue gets resolved. I will keep yo posted if possible.
Expert:  Michael replied 5 years ago.
Customer hopefully this has been helpful. If you need to get back in touch with me it can be done through this question.

Good Luck,

Michael