Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

2000 Ford F150 4.2 I have no power to the window switches on

2000 Ford F150 4.2 I have no power to the window switches on either door, I have checked all the fuses and the relays that I know about, there are relays above the pass air bag and I have switched them around and no change. I have a haynes manual but it doesn't help, I have no owners manual for this vehicle. It may be unrelated but the power door locks have power and try to move but don't.
Ok since I do not know what fuses you have checked I would start by checking the fuses in the battery junction box, fuse 110 and 103 to start with, if you have a test light test to see if there is power at those fuses also.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ihave tested all the fuses in the junction box, and made sure there was power from one side to the other, and physiclaly pulled each out and checked for continuty.
Ok that was the battery junction box right? And you have no power at the window switch at all?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That is correct
Ok have you checked fuse 14 in the central junction box (under left side of dash)?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, I checked for power on each side of the fuses and pysiclaly pulled each out and did a continuity test on each one.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
a little history, this vehicle was in a front end collision, the windows operated when I received it, I had to repair the drivers door and I had the door panel off. I did not remove the door or any wireing and after i replaced the core support and put it all back together this was my problem. there is no wiring damage in the door or no bent prongs on the switches.
ok, on the acc delay relay (central junction box)look at the bottom of the relay there will be numbers next to the terminals, I need you to jump 30 and 87 with a wire (jump the fuse block not the relay itself), a fused wire would be best but if you do not have one a piece of wire will work just be sure it does not get hot. Then see if the windows work and if they do not see if there is power on the light blue/black wire on the window switches.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How do I know which is the acc delay relay?

Pic below,

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This will take me a few minutes and I will get back to you soon
Ok
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I jumped 30 and 87 and they didn't function, there is voltage at 30 and the wire didn't get hot.
Ok did you get power to the light blue/black wire to the switches?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I forgot to check the light blue wire, will be right back
ok
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I reinstalled the jumper wire and the windows function now, this probably means that relay is defective
Maybe, First I would do the same thing to the battery saver relay using terminals 3 and 5 and see if the window work then, be sure you have good contact and double check your work, be sure terminal 3 has power if the windows do not work.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
should I put the acc relay back in first?
Sorry for the delay but yes reinstall the other relay.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did and the windows didn't work, #3 does have voltage. I have both relays here with me and a continuty tester if you need me to test one
Ok if that did not work the problem is most likely the generic electric module in the same junction box, it is what controls the relays and it appears that it is not suppling ground to the relays.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm not familiar with this, can you be a little more specific what and where in the junction box
I'm sorry the module should be connected to the central junction block or very near, (I do not have a good pic of this) It should plug in like a relay but it will be a bit larger. It should have at least 8 terminals (its not clear in the diagram)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there a test I can perform or should I just replace it?
There really is no way to test this without a good scan tool (like a Tech II), but if you have found it there is one other thing to check. I would check the acc relay terminal 85 to generic electric module terminal 11 for continuity to be sure there is not a bad wire or problem with the junction block. That is the circuit that grounds the relay.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
85 has no continity to ground
That still could be the module or a bad wire/connection between the relay and the module. the continuity needs to be checked between the two as described above. If you were to ground that 85 terminal the windows would likely work as normal.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This has put me on the right track, thank you for all you time a knowlage. I'm sorry it took so long to track down, again thanks
No problem, thanks for the accept and good luck with your repair. If you would like the diagram let me know I can send it.