Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279
Ford

I have code P1518 and it says IMRC stuck open. I have tried

I have code P1518 and... Show More
I have code P1518 and it says IMRC stuck open. I have tried to cleanout the intake and it still service engine soon light is on. where is the IMRC acutator and how do I repair this problem. I have a 2002 Ford F150 V6 4.2L with 113,000 miles.
Category: Ford
replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

This engine uses a split intake runner for each cylinder. It has a long skinny runner for low RPM use and a short fat passage for high RPM use. The IMRC is a system to control the secondary "butterflies" in the intake manifold.

When the engine is started the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) sends a command to the IMRC actuator to close the "butterflies". Above 3500 RPMs, the PCM takes the command away and the butterflies open, using spring pressure. The actuator has a position sensor inside that tells the PCM if the IRCM actuator reacted correctly. The P1518 code means that when the PCM commanded the butterflies closed, it didn't see them move.

While watching the IMRC Linkage, start the engine and watch for movement. If there is no movement, remove the upper intake to gain access to the lower intake. Check the IMRC shafts for carbon or other reasons for the system to stick. Grab the shafts and try to move them manually.

Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
do you have any pictures of this? I am not even sure where the IMRC linkage is? What is considered the upper intake? When I think intake I think it is the huge tube that connects from the air filter to the "engine." Please helpt.
Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
I do you have any pictures of this? I am not even sure where the IMRC linkage is? What is considered the upper intake? When I think intake I think it is the huge tube that connects from the air filter to the "engine." Please helpt
Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

Give me a few minutes and I will send you some pictures.

The upper intake is the top part of the engine.

graphic

Once you have the upper manifold off you will see the flappers for the manifold. They are likely stuck open.
Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
how in the world do I get the upper manifold off? I got every bolt off except the back left that holds the spark plug post. I have no room to move around to remove the bolt. Any advice?
graphicgraphicgraphicgraphic