Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford Lincoln/Mercury and Jaguar dealer as a technician and shop foreman.

2001 ford F-150: triton v8..coil the trick

Customer Question

I have a 2001 ford F-150 Triton v8 5.4, the problem is that it will run ,start, but i is missing very baddly. There is no back fireing, I have had some of the coil sensors replaced but it did not to the trick. I really need some help ThanksCustomer
Category: Ford
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to

Is the check engine light on or flashing? Which coils did you replace? Did you use Ford coil and plugs?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
light flashes and the air will stop being cold, cannot rember on the coils
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

When the engine light is flashing the engine has a cat damaging missfire and really should not be driven far while missfiring. You should go to your local parts store or autozone as they will scan your truck at no charge. Once you have the code numbers which may look like P0301 let me know what they are so we can proceed with the diagnosis and repair.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
whae i had the plugs changed the guy chanched just 3 of the coils and i believe the pcv valve is also bad
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.
The PCV tube/elbow usually collapses and leaks causing a vacuum leak. In my experience once one coil goes the others are not too far behind and usullay when it's all said and done all 8 coils and plugs will be replaced.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX could make it run that way like with no power and missing
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

Yes exactly.

If you have the codes read and you have missfire codes (P0301...P0308) then I suspect faulty coils and plugs. If the codes are P0171 and P0174 then you should check the PCV tube.