JKTN
JKTN, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  15 Years Mechanical Engineering / R&D /Electrician / Auto Mechanic / Construction
8329867

I have a coolant leak in my 1997 Ford Explorer V8, 5.0, with

I have a coolant leak in my 1997 Ford Explorer V8, 5.0, with 101,000 miles on it, but the leak is back from the radiator area.
Category: Ford
Expert:  JKTN replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for using JA, if the leak appears to be coming from the front center of the engine then check the water pump. The water pump is mounted on the front center of the engine, it has a 1/4 inch weep hole on the underside. This hole will begin to leak antifreeze when the seals and bearings are bad in the pump. You should see it dripping or signs of antifreeze residue around this area if the pump is bad. Also follow the upper and lower radiator hoses back to the engine. One hose is connected to the water pump, check for a leak there. The other attaches to the thermostat housing, another possible source. There are two more water hoses that go from the upper intake area to the heater core, these are small approx. 3/4 diameter you can locate them at the passenger side firewall under the hood follow these to where they attach on the engine and check for leaks. The last think it could be is a head gasket, very rare for these to leak water externally. I hope this gets you pointed in the right direction.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What kind of costs--range--might I expect?