davehop, Ford Technician
Experience:  Fully certified in all phases of automotive repair as recognized and certified by Ford Motor Company

2001 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer: the front appears to need new shocks

I have a 2001 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer with four corner leveling air suspension. The Vehicle has 137.000 miles and the front appears to need new shocks. I have been having problems with the car leaning to the right and the pump only comes on intermittantly. I was up north in -25 deg weather and the left rear spring appeared to fully extend. It warmed up here and I switched the pump on and off several times, the pump has not come on but the air spring has come down slightly. Is there a mixing valve or sensor that distributes the air for the leveling system. I am planning to replace the front air shocks as soon as we have a warm day and could the fron shocks be the problem? Also, where is the air pump located as it doesn't show up in Chilton manuel?
Hello and welcome to JA, the air suspension pump on your truck is located under the washer fluid reservoir. The most common cause of the leaning of the air suspension is usually a leak, but there are also other factors that could cause this same problem. Does the air suspension even pump up at all? Let me know because that will determine what course of diagnosis we take next.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It does not appear to have recently. The right front and rear, appear to be about two too three inches lower than the left side. The system does not inflate and level like it always has in the past to answer your question.
Ok, the first thing we need to do is get in the truck, and start it up, then with the shifter in park, and your foot on the brake, put the 4x4 system into 4x4 low, this will force the pump to come on, then go out to the washer tank and feel down beneath it and see if the pump is vibrating. Let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will be right back
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I switched to four low in park and then from neutral and did not get the pump to come on.
Ok, crawl under the front of the truck, look behind the passenger side headlight , there is a large relay bolted to the body, it has fins on it, do you see it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, next to the horn
thats the one, unplug it and look to see if the connector has green or white corrosion in it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
One lead on the far side has what appears to be green, the others look pretty clean
Lets get some brake cleaner, or some carb cleaner and spray it into the connector, then get a toothpick and scrape out the green, then reconnect and perform the same procedure with the 4x4 low, to try to get the pump on. Let me know what happens.
I have to run out now, but if you can wait a few hours, I will be back to finish helping you. After cleaning the relay, if the pump does come on, let the system pump up to ride height, then turn off the switch, measure the ride height from the top of the tire to the botom of the fender, then take it for a rough ride, beat the hell out of it, if any one corner measures lower than it was before the road test we have a leak, if the pump does not come on, then we need to check for power and ground, and I will help you with that when I get back ok.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Still nothing. Thanks, I'll wait for your message that your back.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I could not get the pump to come on while the truck was sitting, I took it for a drive and the pump comes on. From a short drive the measurments are 5" from top of tire on both the front leaft and rear left. 3" on the right front and reatr. I am going to drive some more and will send measurements.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I drove the car as requested, when I got back the left rear was 7" front left 5'

right rear 3.5" front right 2.75". I let it sit for several minutes and the left side settled at 5" front and rear, right side was at 3" front and rear. The pump never came on during the ride.

Is the pump very loud and vibrating ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
On the first drive the pump was louder than on the second drive and yes it is vibrating.
did you shut the switch off after you let it come up to ride height, it should be off so we can see what is leaking.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
At ride height the right side is just about 2" lower than the left. I drove the truck last night with the switch off and the clearance (top of tire to top-outside of the wheel well are as follows. Left rear 4 3/4" Left front 5" Right rear 3" Right front 3 1/4.
ok, but when you let it pump up do they all go to the same or roughly the same height? Then when the switch is turned off and the truck is driven, the height of the side or corner that goes down is where the leak is.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is always a noticeable difference in height even after the pump runs. I just went out and drove the truck. Left rear went to 6", left front 5", right rear 3 1/4, right front 3 1/4. Turned off the pump and drove home about two miles left rear 6", left front 5", left rear 3", left front 3 1/4" The front is usually lower though. I will have to check after the truck sits to see if there is a difference again.
`You have an air leak and we must get it fixed before the pump burns out, the bag, spring cap, and seal kit are required to properly fix this concern, parts available only at the dealer. Replace both on the right side and the problem will be gone.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have one last question, I was planning on changing the front shocks this spring, along with the bag, spring clip and seal lit is this a good ldea? And thank you for all of your help.
Yes it is a good idea to replace the entire assm, sometimes when I try to save someone money by only resealing the bag, or just replacing the bag and seal kit, they wind up needing the spring cap and the shock later on, which means another seal kit, so just do it all at once and save yourself the trouble.