Steve S
Steve S, Ford Technician
Experience:  10 years in Ford Dealership, Certified in: Auto Trans, Diesel Engines, Climate Control, Electrical D
9447945

MY husband replaced fuel pump in ford explorer sport trac 2004

Customer Question

My husband replaced the fuel pump in my ford explorer sport trac 2004 ,it ran for a week then the check engine light came on, one week later my car is not starting again , just like when the fuel pump origionally went out. It was not a factory fuel pump that he put in . We think it is the fuel pump again ,Is there any test we can do to make sure the pump actually went out again. I tried putting in a good fuse for the fuel pump relay and I hit the reset on the fuel shut off on the passanger floor. Nothing worked.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve S replied 5 years ago.
Hi there do you have a fuel pressure gauge? Do you have a meter to check the circuits to the pump? Has anyone pulled the trouble code? Steve
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Steve, no one has pulled the trouble code, we were trying to avoid the cost of doing it. My husband said we do not have a fuel pressure gauge, but we have a voltage/amp meter if that is what you are talking about. Thank you for all your help, we truly appreciate it.
Expert:  Steve S replied 5 years ago.
Does your husband hear the fuel pump turn on when you turn the key to the "on" position? Have you tried replacing the relay itself? Steve
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My husband is currently at work and has not been home to deal with my car again. Origionally when we first put in the new fuel pump we could not hear the fuel pump turn on when the key was in the on position.I was not able today to find a new relay, the ford dealership made it seem like the part was some kind of multi fuse ? I really did'nt understand, so the ford dealership told me to take another fuse that was the same and put it in the relay spot.So, I tried putting another fuse from the panel in to see if the car would start and there was no change the car turned over but would not start.

Expert:  Steve S replied 5 years ago.
Ok when your husband gets home he needs to find the connector that goes to the fuel pump and check for power on the punk/black wire and ground on the black and red wire. These wires go to a fuel pump driver module which have become popular in failing. This part is mounted to the frame in front of the spare tire. Have him lower the tire and you will see a small aluminum module with a connector have him check this for any green corrosion if any is found then that is most likely the concern then let me know what he finds please. Thank you Steve
Steve S, Ford Technician
Experience: 10 years in Ford Dealership, Certified in: Auto Trans, Diesel Engines, Climate Control, Electrical D
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Steve,Thank so much for your help, I will let you know on Monday when my husband gets home, I appreciate all your help. Goldie
Expert:  Steve S replied 5 years ago.
Ok I will be waiting. I think that we can get it going again. Steve
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Steve, my husband tested the wires coming from the fuel pump driver module. We have 3 red/black wires that read 11.88 volts . We also have 2 more wires ,1 yellow that read 1.2 and 1 green that we used as ground. There was no corrosion found on the module or wires. Thank you for your help.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Steve ,my husband just checked the the interia switch on the passanger foot side , it was not plugged all the way in. He plugged it back in and the car started right up. Yaaa!Thank you for all of your help you were great. Goldie
Expert:  Steve S replied 5 years ago.
I am glad that you are back on the road. Think of me next time. Thank you so much Steve