Dennis
Dennis, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Technician,Ford Diesel Technician,ASE Master Technician,34 Years Ford Experience
13089353

How do i change the front brake rotors on a 1993 ford explorer

How do i change the front brake rotors on a 1993 ford explorer 4x4
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dennis replied 5 years ago.
Customer below are directions and diagrams for removing the rotor on your Explorer.

Hope this answers your question and the info was helpful.

Please accept this answer and give feedback. Thank you.

1. Raise the vehicle and install safety stands.
  1. Remove the wheel lugnuts and the wheel and tire assembly.
  1. Remove the retainer washers from the lugnut studs. Remove the automatic locking hub assembly from the spindle.

graphic

1. Remove the snap ring from the end of the spindle shaft.
  1. Remove the axle shaft spacer.

Pull cam assembly off the wheel bearing adjusting nut and remove the two plastic thrust spacers from the adjusting nut.

CAUTION: Do not pry on the plastic cam or thrust spacers during removal. Prying may damage the cam or spacers.

graphic

1. Using a magnet, remove the locking key.

NOTE: If required, rotate the adjusting nut slightly to relieve pressure against the locking key, before the key can be removed.

CAUTION: To prevent damage to the spindle threads, look into the spindle keyway under the adjusting nut and remove the separate locking key before removing the adjusting nut.

When reinstalling follow below

1. Loosen the wheel bearing adjusting nut from the spindle using a 2-3/8 inch Hex Locknut Wrench and remove it.
  2. Remove the rotor.While rotating the hub and rotor assembly, tighten the wheel bearing adjusting nut to 47 Nm (35 ft-lb) to seat the bearings. Spin the rotor and back off the nut one-quarter turn (90 degrees).
    1. Retighten the adjusting nut to 1.8 Nm (16 in-lb) using a torque wrench.
    1. Make sure the final end play of the wheel on the spindle is 0.00-0.08mm (0.000-0.003 inch). the maximum torque to rotate the hub is 2.8 Nm (25 in-lb).
    1. Align the closest lug in the wheel bearing adjusting nut with the center of the spindle keyway slot. Advance the nut to the next lug if required. Install the separate locking key in the spindle keyway under the adjusting nut.

WARNING: EXTREME CARE MUST BE TAKEN WHEN ALIGNING THE SPINDLE NUT ADJUSTMENT LUG WITH THE CENTER OF THE SPINDLE KEYWAY SLOT TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO THE SEPARATE LOCKING KEY. THE WHEEL AND TIRE ASSEMBLY MAY COME OFF WHILE THE VEHICLE IS IN MOTION IF THE KEY IS DAMAGED.

1. Install the two thrust spacers and push or press the cam assembly onto the locknut by lining up the key in the fixed cam with the spindle keyway.

CAUTION: Extreme care must be taken when aligning the fixed cam key with the spindle keyway to prevent damage to the fixed cam.

1. Install the axle shaft spacer.
      1. Clip the snap ring onto the end of the spindle shaft.
      1. Install the automatic locking hub assembly over the spindle. Align three hub assembly legs with three pockets in cam assembly. Install the retainer washers.
        Install the wheel and tire assembly. Install and tighten lugnuts.
Dennis, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Senior Master Technician,Ford Diesel Technician,ASE Master Technician,34 Years Ford Experience