Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.
Experience:  30 years with Ford dealers

My 2003 Expedition makes a high pitch whistle sound, in cold

My 2003 Expedition makes a high pitch whistle sound, in cold weather only, under light throttle conditions. (70 mph or less). Replaced the idle air control valve to no avail!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scottdagoalie replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-How many miles are on your Ford?
-What type of engine is in your Ford?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
- Does the whistle noise change with engine speed?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The Expediton has 41K miles on it and is garage kept. The engine is the 5.4L

The whistle noise comes and goes with engine speed but remains somewhat constant unless I increase throttle position. At 70 mph the noise will go away if I drop down from overdrive to increase the engine speed.

Can I get your VIN number to check the Ford database?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The VIN is 1FMFU18L33LB56552
Will it whistle at idle? Can you open the hood and isolate the area of the noise? There aren't any noted concerns in the Ford database for this. There use to be a concern similar to this on older 5.4's that required a new Style intake boot.But it doesn't apply to your model year.
I would check the air intake boot for loose fittings or kinks that may cause irregular air flow. Also check the air filter and filter housing for anything that may odstruct air flow.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I can't hear the wistle at idle, just under light loads from around 30 mph up to about 70. 70 mph is most bothersome, as I live close to four major freeways. Like I stated before, dropping the trans down from high (to speed up the engine) will make the noise go away, but is hard on the fuel economy.

I had checked the entire intake system for leaks or obstructions and have a new air filter.

I have been a backyard mechanic since the early sixties and never had a car problem that I could not solve, but this one is driving me crazy.

My wife drives this vehicle most of the time and is driving me crazy with her constant complaining!

Please let me know if you have more info before I take it to a Frod dealer!

I'm sorryCustomer,but thats all I've got. I wish I had a quik fix for you but it sounds like you've check the major causes already. I take it that it sounds like an intake airflow concern and not a belt issue. You would have detected the difference I'm sure. Like I said,there are no known problems that Ford has seen to give us a hint on where to go. Let me know what you end up finding. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for trying, but I will take it to the local Ford dealer next week. I only hope they don't use the shotgun method and replace every valve and sensor under the hood.

I never used this internet chat before, so please let me know if I owe you money for your time and effort and I will hit the accept button to pay you!

Otherwise, thanks for your input.

Glad I could help,just check the accept tab and I'll get paid.Thank you , and you can return to this page if you have questions later.