powerstroker24, Master Diesel Technician
Experience:  11+ yrs diesel exp. Ford Master Diesel certified. ASE L2 Advanced Diesel Diagnosis cert., ASE T2,T6

the block heater on my pickup is leaking and I need to replace it

Thanks for your question and I would be glad to help. The last block heater I replaced on a diesel was actually a 86 model 6.9. If my memory serves me correctly it had a screw head bolt in the middle of the element going into the block with a wing nut on the backside to clamp it to the freezeplug bore it resides in. Basically you want to drain the coolant, and then loosen the fastener quite a bit so that the wing nut has room to turn. It is a messy job as the block will still be full of coolant. Simply reinstall the new heater in reverse. Hope I could help and if so please accept this answer, thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks I was told the block may be a screw in type and would use a large or special socket, so I gues I will find out. It was not in my shop manual ( I have a ford shop manual) so I will see. I am still glad I asked. if you would like I will let you know how it comes out. thanks again. Skip
Thanks and yes let me know how it goes.