powerstroker24
powerstroker24, Master Diesel Technician
Experience:  11+ yrs diesel exp. Ford Master Diesel certified. ASE L2 Advanced Diesel Diagnosis cert., ASE T2,T6
14825969

05 ford f350 6.0 started missing and smoking real bad

Thanks for your question and I will be glad to help. Did this occur at a stop,cruise, or accel? What color smoke? Did the check engine light come on? Did it clear up or stall out?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
check engine light did not come on
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
both cruising stoping. white smoke
I would probably lean towards the egr valve.Without a scanner and retrieving codes we are gonna try some process and elimination. I would recommend removing the egr valve and inspecting it for excessive carbon buildup,a siezed valve(wont move freely),and inspecting it for evidence of coolant contamination. If any of these conditions are apparent then we need to take actions to correct the issue. Remove the valve by removing the 2 8mm bolts from the base,then turning the valve with a pair of channel locks. Next using a small prybar(or preferably a ladysfoot-looks like a baby prybar),remove the valve trying to remove it in as vertical fashion as possible. Im glad I could help and if you are satisfied with this answer then please accept this answer and leave positive feedback. If you have more questions please feel free to ask, thanks.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i am a ase car tech. never new a egr could make a engine smoke and miss
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it did clear up for a few sec
On a 6.0 deisel it can do more than just that. It can also make it stall. Basically if the egr valve gets stuck in the open position either from a peice of carbon or from the valve hanging open itself it can cause all of these issues. If you are a tech,pull a code. If it has any egr codes(p0401,0402,0404,0405,1335) then please do remove the valve as I stated before. Thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

truck is in central florida. he tells me that the check engine light never came on.well there still be a code stored

Yes most likely. Not all manufacturer codes will illuminate the check engine light. Matter of fact the egr valve wont most of the time unless for a p1335.