powerstroker24, Master Diesel Technician
Experience:  11+ yrs diesel exp. Ford Master Diesel certified. ASE L2 Advanced Diesel Diagnosis cert., ASE T2,T6

How can I tell if my 7.3 diesel turbo charger is working?

Category: Ford
Expert:  powerstroker24 replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your question and I would be glad to help. What kind of issues are you having that makes you ask this? I need to know to get a better idea of whats going on, thanks in advance.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have a 1996 turbo diesel with 100,000 miles on it. My previous 2001 had a distinct sound and I could feel the boost when the turbo engaged. I neither hear or feel the boost on this one. Also the truck sputters and almost dies when pulling a heavy load up a grade of 6% but never at any other time. Any thoughts?
Well to start your 01 model had a much larger turbo than your 96 model and generally more power from the factory. That being said it losing power and spitting and sputtering when pulling a large load,do we have any smoke when this occurs and if so what color? Is the truck pretty low on power even when not pulling a load? Did this problem just start showing its face?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It's power is quite good and it dosn't smoke when it stutters. It feels more like no gas than a bad burn. I't has had this problem since I bought it early last year. It had 89,000 on it then.

Has the check engine light ever came on? If so have you ever scanned the computer for codes?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No check engine light, no codes.
Well with no codes to go off of we would be at the point of performing tests such as fuel pressure tests and boost pressure tests when the fault occurs to see which parameters are not within normal specifications.