Tim
Tim, Ford Technician
Experience:  23 years Dealership experience, Ford Senior Master Technician since 2000, ASE Master since 1985
12316582

2001 ford ranger: firing order..2wd..3.0 v6..coil

Customer Question

i need the firing order for a 2001 ford ranger 2wd 3.0 v6. the engine order and coil order would be helpful.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.
Customer

The firing order is 1-4-2-5-3-6.

The front cylinder on the passenger side is number 1, next is 2, then 3 at the back. Number 4 the front on the drivers side, then 5 and last 6. I do not have a diagram of the coil, however the wires are paired up as follows 1 with 5, 4 with 3 and 2 with 6. On one side of the coil it is 1, 2 and 3 then paired as listed before.

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the coil is what ireally need. the diagram autozone gave me has them paired up the same,but the truck wont run right like that.
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.
Customer

The cylinders should be lined up 1,2,3 on the one side front to back and then paired up like before. Did the truck run before? What happened before the no start?

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes the truck ran before. i will go check again
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i've checked everything. the truck wont even start now. i've relaced wires, plugs, and coil. now it's worse than i started.
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.
Customer

What happened to cause the no start?

Did you change something or did this problem start on it's own?

What all did you change before this started?

Do you have good spark at the spark plug end of the wires?

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i changed the spark plugs and the wires and it ran the same as it did before and the service engine light was still on. i took the truck back to auto zone and they hooked it back up to the code reader and it still showed it was misfiring on the number one cylinder. they told me the coil pack was probably bad and i had to go to another parts store to get it, because auto zone didn't carry my coil. they also told me i needed to fallow the firing order the showed, which is the same as you gave me. i installed the coil pack and fallowed the firing order diagram and now it wont even start. now i can't remember how it was. this is the first time working on such a new vehicle.

Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.
Customer

We may have to start from scratch with our daignosis.

Do you have a good spark at the spark plug end of the plug wire?

Do you have fuel pressure?

Is it trying to start?

Let me know,

Tim