powerstroker24
powerstroker24, Master Diesel Technician
Experience:  11+ yrs diesel exp. Ford Master Diesel certified. ASE L2 Advanced Diesel Diagnosis cert., ASE T2,T6
14825969

2006 FORD F-350: CHECK ENGINE..P0402 EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION FLOW

I HAVE A 2006 FORD F-350 6.0 THE CHECK ENGINE COME AND CODES ARE P0402 EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION FLOW EXCESSIVE DETECTED.AND CODE P1000 MONITON CHECKS NOT COMPLETE MORE DRIVING REQUIRED.CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT I NEED TO DO TO FIX THE PROBLEM.THANKS DAVE
Thanks for your question and I would be glad to assist you. Basically a p0402 is the reason the check engine light is coming on. A p0402 is ussually caused by the egr valve itself. You will need to remove the egr valve and inspect it for being weet from coolant,excessive carbon build up or flat out just siezed. If you need advise on how to remove the valve just ask and I will be glad to help. Thanks again.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I JUST NEED TO NO WHERE IT IS ALSO I WOULD LIKE TO NO IF I CAN REMOVE THE MUFFER AND TAIL PIPE AND RUN A TURN DOWN PIPE IN FRONT OF REAR WHEEL WITHOUT HAVING ANY PROBLEM.THANKS DAVE

The egr valve is located on top of the engine and is secured by 2 8mm bolts. Once removed turn the valve with channel locks and use a suiteable ladysfoot(looks like a mini crowbar) or simular type prybar and remove the valve being certain to try to make the valve go upwards and not sideways.

As for the exhaust issue sure you can remove that stuff without causing any issues in my opinion. Some might say that the change in backpressure could be a negative affect but I tend to disagree. I do recommend leaving the Cat in place to avoid warranty issues. The best advise I give people is to check with your local dealer and ask them that way if your truck has ANY issues they wont try to blame it on such modifications. Glad I could help and please accept and leave positive feedback. Thank you.