lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.

2004 Explorer: shifter..park..a few minutes but it finally shifted

Customer Question

My 2004 Explorer shifter is stuck in park. This is the second time it happened. Last time was over a year ago and it took a few minutes but it finally shifted into gear. I don't want to force it and I'm not sure if I can anyway. What can I do?
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomerthis is lostrider, there is an actuator that lets the shifter move from the park position, but first I need to ask you a few questions.

~Need you to look and see if the brake lights are working when the pedal is depressed?

~Is your truck a floor shifter or a column shifter?

~When you press on the brakes, do you hear a click sound from around the shifter area?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The brake lights do work when I depress the pedal and there is a click sound from the shifter area when I depress the brake.

The shifter is on the floor (center console).

Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the reply, one more request, can I get your 17 digit VIN number to research fords computer for the concern?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1FMEU74E76UA44812
Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX above post you stated the Explorer is a 2004, the vin number is XXXXX a 2006 model, is this right?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

my mistake.

its a 2006

Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.
Not a problem, there has been a few concerns for this condition and Ford has come out with a Service bulletin to replace the shifter assembly, unfortunately the parts are only covered under the base warrenty and extended warranties, your truck is out of base warrenty by time and I see no extended warrenty for your truck on the Fords computer, here is a copy of the service bulletin with the part numbers for the shifter, if you want instruction to replace the shifter, let me know.
TSB
07-12-9
  • INTERMITTENT CONDITION - SHIFTER REQUIRES MANUAL OVERRIDE TO GET VEHICLE OUT OF PARK - VEHICLES BUILT ON OR BEFORE 11/14/2006
Publication Date: June 12, 2007

FORD:2006-2007 Explorer
2007 Explorer Sport Trac, Explorer Sport Trac
MERCURY:2006-2007 Mountaineer, Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 07-11-12 to update the production fix date.

ISSUE:

Some 2006-2007 Explorer 4dr, Mountaineer and 2007 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles built on or before 11/14/2006 may exhibit an intermittent condition where the shifter may require the use of the manual override function to get the shifter out of park. This condition may be caused by chemicals migrating from the shifter lubricant, and being deposited on the shifter switch contacts.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

NOTE:THIS TSB SHOULD BE PERFORMED ON 2006 VEHICLES AND 2007 VEHICLES BUILT ON OR BEFORE 11/14/2006. THIS TSB DOES NOT APPLY TO VEHICLES BUILT AFTER 11/14/2006.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Check the electrical system and make sure the shifter is getting power from the BOO switch (actuate brake to confirm switch signal is getting to the shifter assembly).
  2. Confirm the wiring in the shifter is okay (connections are made, no cut wires).
  3. If there are no issues with wiring or other electrical components, follow Workshop Manual, Section 307-05, Removal and Installation of the Transmission Selector Lever and Selector Lever Cable Adjustment procedures to replace the Transmission Selector.

PART NUMBERPART NAME
7L2Z-7210-ATransmission Selector Lever (6R60)
7L2Z-7210-BTransmission Selector Lever (5R55)
7L2Z-7210-CTransmission Selector Lever (6R60 - With Leather Rap)
7L2Z-7210-DTransmission Selector Lever (5R55 - With Leather Rap)

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do you "manual override" the shifter.
Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.
Here is the procedure and thank you.

Brake Shift Interlock Override

NOTE: If it is necessary to use the Brake Shift Interlock Actuator (BSIA) override procedure to move the selector lever out of the PARK position, it is possible that a fuse has blown and the brake lights are not operational. Before driving the vehicle, verify that the brake lights are working.

This vehicle is equipped with a BSIA feature that prevents the selector lever from being moved out of the PARK position when the ignition is in the ON position until the brake pedal is applied.

If the selector lever cannot be moved out of the PARK position when the ignition is in the ON position and the brake pedal is applied:

1. Apply the park brake and remove the ignition key.
  1. Remove the cup holder and locate the access cap and remove.
  1. graphicUsing a suitable tool, press the brake shift interlock override mechanism on the selector lever assembly, apply the brake pedal, press the button on the selector lever knob and move the selector lever into NEUTRAL.
  1. Insert the ignition key into the ignition and start the vehicle.
  1. To install, reverse the procedure.