FMT2282
FMT2282, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Technician,ASE Master Technician, State Smog License and 23 years in the field
12047891

Ford focus: the rear spindle nut..brake shoes..bolts..threads

What is the torque spec for the rear spindle nut on a ford focus? I also heard that when you inspect the brake shoes your supposed to remove the four rear 13mm bolts instead of the spindle bolt is that true? I've noticed that the threads on the spindle get messed up after taking that spindle nut off time after time. If the threads on the nut and spindle are messed up but you put it on nice and tight with an impact what are the odds of the wheel falling off?
Category: Ford
Expert:  FMT2282 replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

What year and body style Focus are you working on?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well this one is a 2005 front wheel drive you know with the rear drum hubs that have the spindle nut holding the drum on
Expert:  FMT2282 replied 7 years ago.
To answer your question,the torque specification is 173 ft/lbs.The repair manual says to rotate the bearing as you torque the nut and to do it in steps as not to damage the bearings. To inspect the brakes ,you are correct in removing the 13 mm bolts. You also need to remove the rear wheel speed sensor to keep from damaging it.As far as reusing the spindle nut,the manual says it can be reused up to four times.If the spindle threads are damaged and cannot be cleaned up,you should replace it. Ford doesn't recommend removing/installing the spindle nut with an impact because of damage to the bearings and the threads. We have done it both ways and have had the impacted ones return with growling noise from the bearings. It appears to be a better repair if you take it down in steps while rotating the unit. We have not had any problem with them falling off as long as the torque specification was achieved.Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks,Chuck