Tim, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified

I have a 2007 Ford Focus with an annoying squeak in the rear

I have a 2007 Ford Focus with an annoying squeak in the rear upon entering and exiting the car but ONLY when the parking brake is applied. My local dealership replaced the rear sway bar end bushings but the noise came back after two days. In my travels I have rented other 2007 Ford Focus' and they too all make this e-uh type noise. Any ideas. They tell me there are no Technical Service Bulletins on this issue. Help.

HiCustomer My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try and assist in this issue.

Does your car have rear drum brakes or rear disc?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It has drum brakes.

OK does it make the same noise when you are in the car and apply and release the ebrake?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No. It only makes the noise when you enter or exit the car, when it is in Park, AND the parking brake is on. There is no noise or squeak involving the brakes or brake pedal themselves. I have spent a lot of time under the car with my wife entering and exiting and the squeak is coming from somewhere in teh rear suspension. I now believe that it could be the brake pads, but it is so hard to nail down when you're under the car. It has 27,000 miles on it and I want to get it fixed before the warranty runs out in 2 months.

Ok it sounds to me that the noise is probably the brake shoes moving a slight bit on entering or exiting. The way to tell would be to pull on the cable with the brake off and see if you can isolate it to one wheel. The brake shoes could possibly need deglazed and the spots on the backing plate were the shoes touch could need lubed. Or the parking brake cable may just me a little loose on one side and allowing the brake shoe to touch but fully hold.