Fordanswerman
Fordanswerman, Ford Motor Company Certified Tech
Experience:  Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0
577462

99 Ford Ranger: about 6 times every few minutes..transfer case

Customer Question

I have a 99 Ford Ranger, and my 4wd high/4wd low lights flash about 6 times every few minutes. Also, when I have tried to switch into 4wd on snow, it seems to get stuck. I have heard that I may need a new transfer case or engagement motor...is this the case?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fordanswerman replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

More than likely the shift motor is the cause.

Try this:

Sounds like the shift motor on the back of the transfercase is sticking. Double check that fuses are not blown, and connections to the transfercase is tight and clean.

Try this. Have the vehicle idling in neutral with the foot on the brake. Have someone inside the truck slowly activate the 4x4 switch while someone else is under the vehicle tapping on the shift motor with a hammer. Try this several times. If it then goes into 4x4 mode, replace the shift motor. What you're doing is trying to unstick the motor.

Thanks