Fordanswerman
Fordanswerman, Ford Motor Company Certified Tech
Experience:  Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0
577462

1996 Ford Explorer: engine light came..Overdrive..the speedometer stop

My 1996 Ford Explorer the check engine light came on, the Overdrive off light was blinking and the speedometer stop working.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fordanswerman replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Repair history?

How many miles on truck?

What have you done to fix it so far?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
154000 miles on truck haven't done anything to it the truck is running fine just won't go into overdrive and the check engine light is on and the speedometer doesn't work.

Well, without knowing what codes maybe in the computer, my best guess with all of what you told me would be the rear axle speed sensor that is at the top middle of the rear axle. This is a main input for the trans and the main computer. Replace sensor and unplug battery for 15 minutes and plug battery back in and road test.

Let me know how it turns out.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay I'll try that and let you know Thanks

Yes, that would be great!

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is that part a dealer item?

I think the aftermarket sells them. However, I trust only the Ford dealer parts. So I recommend purchasing it from the dealer.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is it called a ABS speed sensor?

Yes.

Thanks

Experience: Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay good I won't bother you any more tonight. Thanks

That's ok.

Could you please leave positive feedback as I will for you also.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I took it to Advance Auto to get the code it said a speed sensor malfuntion. I got the rear axle speed sensor put it on and it didn't fix it. Check engine light is still on speedometer doesn't work.

Do you have the actual code number?

Where did you purchase the speed sensor at?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No code number came up. It said a speed sensor malfuntion. Advance Auto

Thanks

Was there any water/moisture in the connector where the abs speed sensor plugs in? Make sure the pins were not pushed out either?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No water or moisture in the connector or anywhere around it. It looks good no pins pushed out

Where did you purchase the sensor at?

Is this the part you replaced?

Thanks

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, that's it. I got it from Advance Auto

Like I mentioned earlier, I have not had much luck with aftermarket sensors. I only recomend Ford sensors only.

If you have a OHM meter, pull off the connector to the sensor and check the ohms on the 2 terminals of the sensor and let me know what you have.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, I don't have an OHM meter. I'll just take it to the Ford dealer. Just trying not to it's like 25 miles away and I didn't want to drive it so much. Thanks for all of your help, Renee Thomas

You are very welcome.

Thanks