Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

2001 ford ranger: I just replaced the 4x4 control module..wheel drive

Customer Question

I just replaced the 4x4 control module on my 2001 ford ranger. I had no 4x4 lights with the old one. Now the new module flashes about 9 to 10 times and still noXXXXX I pulled the two fuses when i changed the module. Do I have to disconnect the negative side of the battery or drive so many miles for the unit to reset?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 years ago.

Hello Customer'm Chris, a current Ford Lincoln Mercury employee.

Thanks for visiting Just Answer. I will do my very best to help you resolve your concerns.

Since your still having concern then we need you to hook up a capable scan tool and pull the codes from the module and reply.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can I use a standard OBD-II scanner or do I need a special one?
You need a one which can access the 4x4 module so it has to be a scan tool better than just a generic one