breakaway500
breakaway500, 35 years as an auto mechanic
Experience:  Own my own auto repair shop for over 16 years,same location

98 ford taurus: 3.0 v6..v6 wont start...engine wont turn..bad relay

Customer Question

98 ford taurus 3.0 v6 wont start...engine wont turn over...just hear relay clicks. found bad relay and replaced...still clicks...tested starter....starter good. any suggestions???
Category: Ford
Expert:  breakaway500 replied 5 years ago.
Have you tested the battery? Will it start with a jump?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
just replaced with a new battery

Have you tried to start it in neutral?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes

Are you getting a 12v signal at the starter solenoid in the crank position?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes

If your positive cable from the starter to the battery is good,and the negative cable is attached to the block,and you have a 12v signal to the starter solenoid,and the starter does not work,your starter is no good.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i removed the starter and took it to my local parts store to have it put on there machine....i checked out good working condition 3 times

With the starter mounted in the car,and the large positive cable attached to the soleniod,and the battery grounded properly,if you jump a wire from the positive side of the battery to the small solenoid wire lead on the starter,the starter should engage.It has to.There is nothing else left to malfunction but the starter at that point.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i try jumping the starter with a screwdriver....all i get are sparks and the sound of the starter teeth hitting the flywheel. when i turn the key in the ignition...just clicks but i dont hear the starter trying to engage
.If you use a jump wire from the battery to the small starter wire terminal on the starter soleniod,does the starter engage properly?Don't use the screwdriver.