Tim
Tim, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified
9591582

2002 Ford Taurus: my door latch..3) Is there a recall for this? &nbs p

I have a 2002 Ford Taurus and my door latch is stuck. I cannot close my door and it is -5 in Chicago today.                     &nbs p;                                                           1) How do I fix this? this?                                                                                                                         2) prevent this from happening again?                                &nbs p;                                                                                  3) Is there a recall for this?               &nbs p;                                                       Thanks                                                                                                           Regards,                                           &n bsp;                                                            Thomas R Usalis
The only thing you can try if itis stuck closed is spray some silicone spray or wd40 in the latch and while raising the door handle take a screw driver and put it in between the latch and push outward to release the latch. i fthat does not work you will need to remove the latch.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Why would the cold weather cause the problem?

Will would removing the latch help?

If the latch has moisture it could frreeze up or start sticking from the grime that collects in the latches. If the spraying with lubricant doesnt work than removing the latch will allow you to see what is seizing it up and possibly freeing it up or having to replace.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I assume that replacing the door latch is faily simple. Remove the door panel and remove and replace.
The most difficult part is getting all the rods back in the right place and working the small area. Did it not free up with the sgrewdriver and spray?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I won't know till I go back home tonight. I am work now. I hope it works otherwise, it sounds like a big job.

I asume thaqt the latch come out easy.

Thanks for your help.

To replace the latch is not that big of a deal. The hardest part is getting the latch bolts out if you dont have a impact driver.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

thanks

just one last question ( I hope)

why would the door open ( door latch) and than it would not close. Is the cause the weather with the grim etc. THis happed severald days ago, I would try several times to close it and finally it would work. By forcing this, could this cause a problem? bending something etc? Thanks

Is it stuck where the latch is completely closed or where the latch is open but wont close? Using the screw driver to move it should not do any damage since you are doing with the screwdriver what the striker on the car actually does. The latch has 2 like jaws are they open or closed they can stick in both positions. In your case it sounds like it is probably stuck open.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Not sure what you mean. I can only see one jaw (black) and it will not move now when you use a scrwdriver.

Can you see two different jaws?

Can I contact you after I try your suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Yours could be only one. They make different ones for different models sorry. Yes you will be able to reply to this post later today.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

If I use the screwdriver to push push out or push in the jaw, I asume that no damage tot he latch. Is the latch (jaws etc mechanical parts) all metal?

Yes pushing that with a screwdriver will not damage. Just use the screwdriver as a striker. Do noot pry left or right you just want touse the screwdriver to goin and out.