Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

i need to change oil pan gasket 2003 ford escape how hard is

Customer Question

i need to change oil pan gasket 2003 ford escape how hard is it to do
Category: Ford
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
Is this a v6 or a 4 cyl?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is v6
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
Its not to hard of a job the manual calls for 2 hours to change it but that is on a lift so you might expect to spend 3 hours on the job. I would rate it a 4 on a scale from 1 - 10 with 10 being the hardest.
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience: 28 years experience, Master Mechanic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where can i get manual to show me how to do it
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.

Below is the process, if you need more information you can buy manuals at most any auto parts store.

Removal
1. Remove the flexible exhaust pipe. For additional information
2. Disconnect the downstream catalyst monitor sensor.
3. Drain the oil.
4. Install the drain plug.
5. Remove and discard the oil filter.
6. Remove the 15 bolts.
7. Remove the three bolts and the oil pan.
Installation
CAUTION: Do not use metal scrapers, wire brushes, power abrasive discs or other abrasive means to clean the sealing surfaces. These tools cause scratches and gouges which make leak paths. Use a plastic scraping tool to remove all traces of the head gasket.
1. Clean all sealing surfaces on the engine and the oil pan with metal surface cleaner.
2. Position a new gasket on the oil pan.
NOTE: Clean and decrease all sealing surfaces with metal surface cleaner.
NOTE: The oil pan must be installed and the bolts tightened with in four minutes of sealant application.
Fig. 209: Identifying Silicone Gasket
And Sealer Application Locations
Courtesy of FORD MOTOR CO.
3. Apply a 10 mm (0.40 in) diameter dot of silicone gasket and sealer to the areas indicated in Fig.
4. Position the oil pan and gasket and loosely install the bolts in the sequence shown in Fig. 210.
Fig. 210: Identifying Tightening Sequence Of Oil Pan And Gasket Bolts

Courtesy of FORD MOTOR CO.
5. Install the oil pan-to-transaxle bolts.
Fig. 211: Installing Oil Pan-To-Transaxle Bolts
Courtesy of FORD MOTOR CO.
6. Tighten
the oil pan bolts in the sequence show in Fig. 212.
Fig. 212: Identifying Tightening Sequence Of Oil Pan Bolts

Courtesy of FORD MOTOR CO.
7. Lubricate the oil filter 0-ring with clean engine oil and install the oil filter.
8. Install the exhaust flexible exhaust pipe.
9. Connect the downstream catalyst monitor.
10. Lower the vehicle.
11. Fill the crankcase with clean engine oil.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic