lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
9493671

My 2006 FreeStyle has a growl sound in the trans area

Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-How many miles are on your Ford?
-What type of engine is in your Ford?
-What have you already tried?
-When does it make the noise? (ie:in gear,neutral,road speeds,all the time)
Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It's got the 3 litre,with 42,00 miles on it.Well maintained,but just started making this growl a couple of weeks ago.The growl is most noisy in neutral,with alittle less noise in gear.As you speed up or slow down it's loudness changes.
Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the reply, The CVT transaxles have had some noise issues, Ford has come out with a Service Bulletin for the noises, From your description it sounds like a bearing noise, look at possible cause #1 on the service bulletin, if it is the transaxle will have to come out of the car to be repaired, the bulletin states that the repairs are covered under the new vehicle limited warrenty coverage, hope this helps.

TSB
06-11-4
  • CONTINUOUSLY VARIABLE TRANSAXLE (CVT) NOISE DIAGNOSIS
Publication Date: May 22, 2006

FORD:2005-2006 Five Hundred, Freestyle
MERCURY:2005-2006 Montego

ISSUE:

Some 2005-2006 Freestyle/Five Hundred/Montego vehicles equipped with a continuously variable transaxle (CVT) may exhibit noise under various driving conditions.

ACTION:

Use the following Service Procedure to identify and repair specific CVT transmission noises.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

It is important to understand normal operating characteristics of the CVT, what type, location, and speeds of noise.

NOTE:DO NOT ATTEMPT REPAIR IF THE NOISE IS COMPARABLE TO A SIMILARLY EQUIPPED VEHICLE.

1. For whine/thump/knock noise in park or neutral, go to Possible Cause Step 1.
  2. For tick noise on deceleration from 20 MPH (32 Km/h) to a stop, go to Possible Cause Step 2.
  3. For whine noise on deceleration, go to Possible Cause Step 3.
  4. For other noise concerns, refer to Other Concerns: Noise/Vibration - Forward or Reverse in Workshop Manual, Section 307-01A for a complete list of possible noise sources.

Possible Cause

1. Whine/thump/knock in park and neutral with engine running that goes away when vehicle is put into drive. Noise may come back when vehicle starts to move. This may be caused by machining of the input shaft or flat spots on the roller bearing. For diagnosis first use chassis ears to pinpoint the noise to transaxle area. If the noise is from the transaxle, monitor Turbine Shaft Speed (TSS_SRC) PID using scan tool. If the noise goes away as TSS_SRC goes to 0, when vehicle is put in gear, replace input shaft and bearing following instruction in Workshop Manual, Section 307-01A.
  2. Tick noise on deceleration from 20 MPH (32 Km/h) to a stop. This may be caused by the differential ring gear. For front wheel drive (FWD), if the noise is isolated to the final drive area of the transmission, replace the differential assembly and transfer gear. If the vehicle is an all wheel drive (AWD), remove the power transfer unit (PTU) assembly, reinstall the halfshafts, disconnect the differential electronic module (DEM) and road test. If the noise goes away, the condition is isolated to the AWD system (not CVT related). If the noise is still present, replace the transaxle differential and transfer gear. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 307-01A for procedures to shim the differential assembly and set proper preload. All replacement differential assemblies are serviced with bearings installed. AWD differentials are serviced with the inner seal installed. Outer bearing races are not packaged with replacement differential/bearing assemblies and will also require replacement.
  3. Gear whine during coast down or deceleration. This may be caused by the transfer gear assembly. If noise follows the criteria below, replace the transfer gear.
    • 69th order noise from 42-35 MPH (68-56 Km/h) (loudest at around 37 MPH (59 Km/h))
    • 69th order noise from 32-25 MPH (51-40 Km/h) (loudest at around 27 MPH (43 Km/h))
    • 138th order noise from 11-16 MPH (18-26 Km/h) (loudest at around 15 MPH (24 Km/h))

NOTE:THE TRANSFER GEAR DUST SEAL AND O-RING WILL ALSO NEED TO BE REPLACED.

PART NUMBERPART NAME
7F9Z-7015-AInput Shaft
5F9Z-7025-ABearing
5F9Z-7F465-AADiff Assy AWD
5F9Z-7F465-BADiff Assy FWD
5F9Z-4222-BADiff Bearing Race
5F9Z-4222-CADiff Bearing Race
7F9Z-7H348-ASide Shaft Gear Assy 5.19
7F9Z-7H348-BSide Shaft Gear Assy 5.54
5F9Z-7J309-AADust Cap
5F9Z-7L280-CAO-ring

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.