Tim, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified

Ford ranger: 1996; Driver seat reclining mechanism..adjust..latch

Customer Question

Ford ranger, ext cab, 1996; Driver seat reclining mechanism is broken. Cannot adjust recline. Slide forward/back latch works. How do I remove seat assembly and how do I access the recline latch mechanism? Is there a replaceable part that is probably broken?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim replied 7 years ago.
What type seat do you have? Bucket or bench?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The seat is a split bench style. Drivers side is 2/3 of the total seating. Passenger side is narrower. A true bucket seat would have been same for both driver and passenger??
There is a fold down arm rest between driver and passenger side.

Hope that this helps.
Expert:  Tim replied 7 years ago.
The seat will just have 4 bolts holding it to the floorpan. Remove the nuts ands remove the seat. Once you have the seat out remove the side trim panel and you should see 2 bolts holding the recline mechanism on don't remove these yet. Ok where the back of the seat meets the bottom you should see where the seat cover latches together to stay on seat. Loosen the seat cover and raise it just enough to see the 2 bolts holding the recliner on to the seat back. now take all 4 bolts out and remove the recliner and replace with the new one.