Fordanswerman
Fordanswerman, Ford Motor Company Certified Tech
Experience:  Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0
577462

My car has been stuttering on acceleration off and on for the

Customer Question

My car has been stuttering on acceleration off and on for the past two weeks, today the engine warning light flashed as the car was stuttering and then stayed on constant, don't know whats wrong. Ford Focus sept 01, please help
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fordanswerman replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

How many miles on the car?

Repair history of car?

How does it start up in the mornings?

Have you been able to check for codes in the computer w/scan tool?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How many miles on the car? 113499

Repair history of car? Had the car in the garage only for brakes

How does it start up in the mornings?Starts fine in the morning, starts stuttering after about five mins when I'm trying to accelerate

Have you been able to check for codes in the computer w/scan tool? Afraid not

Thanks for your question.

It is possible that you have a fuel delivery problem. If you haven't yet, replace the fuel filter.

You will need to check the fuel pressure with a gauge and hose long enough to drive and watch what the fuel pressure is doing especially under a load. Let me know what the pressure reading is. Could be a bad fuel filter or even a weak faulty fuel pump. If that is the case, replace fuel pump. They had a lot of issues with fuel pumps on this year and model.

It also could be a dirty MAF sensor. Clean MAF sensor wire with brake cleaner, unplug battery for 15 minutes to rest PCM and road test for any changes.

Also could be in need of a tuneup with spark plugs and wires.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks so much, not being a mechanic I would'know where any of these things are but will take it to the garage and let them deal with it, any idea how much this will cost as money is extremely tight and will it damage the engine if I run it like this for a couple of days.

Well, they will probably charge at least 1 hr to diag, fuel pressure test and check for codes.

As far as parts go, if it ends up being a fuel pump, which is located in the fuel tank, these can be a little pricy. I would recommend calling the Ford dealer parts, and getting a quote for a fuel pump, fuel filter. This way you know what the parts cost. They may charge a couple of hrs to install the pump and filter.

Make sure they road test after whatever repair they do to verify that it is repaired.

Thanks

Experience: Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks very much for your advice at least now I have a clue and don't have to look dumb at the garage, thanks again,Sian

You are very welcome, come back anytime.

Thanks