Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech

2005 f350: it runs bad when its cold..jerking

Customer Question

i have 2005 f350. it runs bad when its cold. spiting and jerking i used my bulldog to check codes. found three codes v0407,p0611,vo638. what does this mean.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 years ago.
The most significant code is the P0611,this is a code for The FICM(fuel injection control module).We have seen an unusual number of failure lately,when I contacted Ford Engineering they explained why thet are failing.It is due to the large files that have been installed in them on all the latest updates and especially the latest that uses the module to heat up the injectors to improve cold start and run,this calibration is over taxing the voltage regulator in the FICM and causing them to fail.The only way to repair is replace the FICM,and as of yesterday they are one severe backorder to the factory.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for your help. After reading your answer i went on line to look for parts.I could not find a FICM on any web site,maybe I need to look under different name?What about other codes?

Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 years ago.
Most places on the web other than Ford are likely going ot call it an IDM (injector driver module).The P0407 is an EGR valve code,when this code coes up it usually means you need to replace the EGR valve.the P0638 code is not a valid trouble code.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the other code was v0638
Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately some after market scan tool will come up with codes that dont make any sense, there should only be codes with a prefix of P,C,B,or U on any OBDII system.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I found a FICM on ebay ,its certifed to work. Not sure if I will go that route or new.The price is 250.00 due you think that is ok? Also how hard is it to instal? The module is out of a 2005 f350 I dont know if that helps.One more thing should i take my bulldog program out before i repair?
Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 years ago.

I would suggest new,considering all the failures we have seen.

Yes you should remove your programmer as the FICM will need to be calibrated to your trucks PCM and this requires a programmable module installation which updates all the modules.