AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have an 1989 ford f-150 with the 5.0efi engine. How do you

Customer Question

I have an 1989 ford f-150 with the 5.0efi engine. How do you access the middle bolt to remove the plenum from the intake manifold. There is no access hole to reach this bolt from the top of the plenum.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
REMOVAL

Disconnect electrical connectors at air bypass valve, throttle sensor and EGR position sensor.
Disconnect throttle linkage at throttle ball. Disconnect AOD transmission linkage from throttle body. Remove two bolts securing throttle linkage bracket to intake. Position bracket with cables out of way.
CAUTION: When disconnecting throttle cable from ball stud and pry slowly. Pulling by hand may damage the cable.

Disconnect upper intake manifold vacuum fitting connections by disconnecting all vacuum lines to vacuum tree, vacuum lines to EGR valve, and vacuum line to fuel pressure regulator.
Disconnect PCV system by disconnecting hose from fitting on rear of upper manifold.
Remove canister purge line(s) from fitting(s) on throttle body.
Disconnect water heater lines from the throttle body.
Disconnect EGR tube from EGR valve by removing flange nut.
Remove bolt from upper intake support bracket to upper manifold.
Remove six upper intake manifold retaining bolts.
Remove upper intake and throttle body as an assembly from lower intake manifold.
INSTALLATION

Clean and inspect the mounting faces of the lower and upper intake manifolds.
Position new gasket on lower intake mounting face. The use of alignment studs may be helpful.
Install upper intake manifold and throttle body assembly to lower manifold making sure gasket remains in place (if alignment studs aren't used).
Install six upper intake manifold retaining bolts and tighten to 16-24 Nm (12-18 ft-lbs) .
Install upper intake support bracket to upper manifold attaching bolt.
Install EGR tube.
Install canister purge lines to fittings on throttle body.
Connect water heater lines to the throttle body.
Connect PCV hose to rear of upper manifold.
Connect vacuum lines to vacuum tree, EGR valve, and fuel pressure regulator.
Position throttle linkage bracket with cables to upper intake manifold. Install two attaching bolts and tighten to specification. Connect throttle cable and transmission cable to throttle body.
Connect electrical connectors at air bypass valve, TP sensor, and EGR position sensor.
NOTE: If lower intake manifold was removed, fill and bleed cooling system.

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do we access the center 2 of the six upper intake mounting bolts? It appears that the fuel lines arein the way.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Are you talking about the two on the back side of the intake?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
You should be able to get at the ones on the back between the intake runners. You might have to use a swivel socket and come in on an angle.

If you do not have any swivel sockets, and the fuel rail is in the way, you may have to loosen the fuel rail up just a bit to move it over to gain access to the intake bolts.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The intake plenum rolls over the center 2 bolts. two fuel lines run over each other under the plenum. The bolts are located behind the fuel lines . How do we access thesebolts?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
If you cannot get them from the top straight on (between the manifold runners) then you will have to come in from the back of the motor, front of the motor or the drivers side. You cannot get them from the passenger side or from underneath. I use a long extension with a swivel socket.