CTFordTech
CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified
9926638

ford taurus: My drivers side door..wont lock..stay closed

My drivers side door on a ford taurus 2002 won't lock or catch to stay closed
Category: Ford
Expert:  CTFordTech replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomerand Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

• What is the recent weather in your area, cold, rain, snow...?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
temp about30 and some snow

Ok, first and foremost. The latch may be frozen. I would first try taking a heat gun or blow drier and try warming up the latch and see if it will then latch.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We tried warming the lock and it still won't catch or lock.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The door will close but not click or the latch will not hold the door shut. In other words if you try to drive the door will swing open.
Yes, it sounds like the latch is frozen and not hooking onto the door striker. If the lkatch is frozen the door will not be able to close. Also try using the door handles and try opening the latch.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what do you mean by opening the latch?
Just play with the handles like your opening the door.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
we've done all of that, so it must be something else. We've mess with everything on that door and it still does the same, nothing..We've tried to stand against it and lock it with the key, we've tried to lock it from inside and go out the passenger side...we've tried slamming it hard, pushing it in forceful and still nothing. All of the other doors are fine....

Ok then the latch may be siezed and need replaicng.

• When you use the door handles, Does it feel like it is connected to something or does it just flop in a way?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it doesn't feel " floppy." In fact we were allowed to unlock the car to get in this morning and it happened when we tried to close the door. It would't close. that's when we thought the lock must be frozen and we continued doing the things I mentioned.
Ok, more than likely the latch is siezed and will need replacing. The door panel will need to be removed to acess teh latch assambly. If you would like to remove the door panel, I can supply you with instructions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok

Here you go:

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, last question is do I need special tools. Which tools should I use? And I just go to the parts store and ask for a latch replacement for a Taurus,, or do I have to buy a kit? or what?
You shouldnt need any special tools, Only some basic hand tools. You can just ask for a door latch assembly. If you need any further infrormation, Please let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If I should need to talk to you again, do I have to pay again or can I gain access to your site/email? If I should need to ask another question about this particular situation?
If need be, you can reopen the question, It does close after being inactive for a set amount of time.
CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified