Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

i got a camshaft position sensor a bank 1 circuit malfunction

Customer Question

i got a camshaft position sensor a bank 1 circuit malfunction on my 2002 mustang gt...could you tell me exactly what that means and what i need to do to fix it? also if you know the part cost that would be great.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

What is the actual code your geting?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the code is P0340 and then it says camshaft position sensor a bank 1 circuit malfunction. also my car has been backfiring when i try to start it the first time could this be causing that? its only on the first time i turn the key though after that the car starts just fine.
Expert:  Ron replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

In most cases the code P0340 is set due to a bad CAM position sensor (CMP) and can cause the sysptoms your having. The CMP sensor output is a low amplitude, low frequency AC signal that doesn't take much interference to disturb. Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) from bad or wrong spark plugs, leaking plug wires, bad alternator diode(s) or interference from add-on devices, like CB radios, high current stereos, bad phones, etc can all cause this problem.

If all of theses check ok I would replace the CMP