Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech

my 2004 ford explorer (does not have a transmission dip stick)

Customer Question

my 2004 ford explorer (does not have a transmission dip stick) will not shift after it reaches 20-25 mph. I can excelerate to whatever speed I want but it hums (revs high???) sometimes when I put it in reverse it has a slight delay and gives a (bum) sound. mechanic did an engine flush. I doubt it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 years ago.
To check the level on the trans on your Explorer,you rmove plug in the bottom of the transmission pan with the trans up to operating temp,with a suction gun push fluid up into the pan and then let it run back out until it stops,there is a standpipe in the bottom that holds the level in the pan and any excess will run out over the top.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
hi Raymond, thanks for answering me so quickly. the ford dealer have claimed to have did that. ??? don't know what else to do.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Raymond, Thanks so much for your comment, it means a lot to me. I went over what you told me with my husband this morning (who was reluctant to touch the transmission) he's a very good mechanic but afraid to touch the newer models. he was so excited to know that it is the same thing he does to his truck!! as soon as he tries it , maybe fri/sat I will definately let you know how it goes and then post my comment.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 years ago.
Okay,I will wait for your reply
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Raymond,

we did as you said and got the oil changed without any problems.

it took 12 qts Mercon V 1 filter and 1 gasket but the vehicle is still doing the same thing. we don't know what to do next. thanks so much for your help my husband now knows that he can change the oil !! although he was afraid to do so....he said its a piece of cake. We will definately be using your services again.

Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 years ago.
I will check our online forum later when I get home to see if I can find any TSB's or recalls.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Raymond, I will read my email around 12 tomorrow. looking forward to hearing from you.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 years ago.

I checked but did not find anything relevant.

You stated that you husband put 12 quarts in the transmission,that seems like a lot,as these transmission only hold 12.7 quarts when filled from completely dry and most of that is pumped into the torque convertor and cannot be drained out. Did your husband have the vehicle level or was the front end up on stands and the rear on the ground?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

he said that he put some in with the front slightly tilted up but then decided to level her and that the dealer told him that she takes 15.7 qts thats why we bought 12qts. he did say that some drained back out.

he was also if the humming sound could be the wheel bearing ????

Thanks so much for your help, will definately keep you updated with what we find....maybe we can help someone else.

Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 years ago.

Ok,that sounds good.

Yes it is possible it could be a wheel bearing,but wheel brgs typically make more of a rumbling or grinding noise and change with speed.I would suggest you have it scanned for codes to see if there are any slipping clutch codes or sticking solenoids.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Just made an appointment with the dealer to have vehicle scanned on Monday. Please pray for me i KNOW IT'S GOING TO COST MY 2 LEGS AND AN ARM !!

Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 years ago.

Okay.I will be here.

Hope it is nothing to serious.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 years ago.
My pleasure.I might be out of touch tommorow until Monday,we are headed to the mountains to do some sledding.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Raymond,

I left the car at the Ford dealer yesterday from 8:30am until 6:00pm and was told that they had not found anything as yet because they were not finished with testing ?? one guy did say that they think my wheel bearings need replacing and that they would have to check to see if they had them in stock. as Monday's is my day off work they have agreed that I bring it back next Monday...... meanwhile I will get the bearings and have my husband put them in....... I will keep you updated.

Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 years ago.