Your Auto Inspector
Your Auto Inspector, Assistant Service Manager
Experience:  ASE Certified Parts and Service
10675526

1997 Ford Aspire: cylinder..the battery, solenoid, and starter motor

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Ford Aspire (4 cylinder, manual transmission). All of the sudden it will not turn over let alone start. I have replaced the battery, solenoid, and starter motor. What could be the problem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Your Auto Inspector replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer. I would be glad to assist you.

Are you getting signal to the starter?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How would I test for that?

You need to begin by seeing if you are getting signal to the starter solenoid.

You can check it with a test light. Ground the test light somewhere on the engine. Probe the small terminal on the starter solenoid and then have someone turn the key. If the test light illuminates then you are getting power to the starter. If not then you are not getting power to the starter.

Please begin by testing for this and let me know the outcome.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'll have to try that tomorrow unfortunately. I do not have a test light but I can pick one up. Is there any way to specifically speak with you tomorrow?

Continue to use this post tomorrow. I check for responses every hour or so throughout the day. Please post your response after you have checked the solenoid for power.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well if I am getting a signal to the starter and it's not starting, what does that mean? If I am not getting a signal to the starter, then what does that mean? What are my options?

If you have signal to the starter, then you're either dealing with a bad starter, starter solenoid, or a locked up motor.

If you don't have signal to the starter, then there is an electrical problem between the ignition switch and the starter. It could be a bad ignition switch, starter relay, or wiring.

This is the diagnostic process for your issue. We must go step by step and we will find your issue by process of elimination. Each step will help eliminate alot of unnecessary inspections, time, and money so it is important to follow this process.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok I will keep this forum open until tomorrow and I'll see what I come up with. Just something I want to mention though. This all started the morning after I had driven the car 30 minutes to my house with no problems. The next morning I turned the key and all I got was rapid clicking. I played with it later that night and finally got it to start with no problems. I then shut it off and tried starting it again right away and then it reverted back to the clicking (this is why I'm thinking it's not a seized engine). I was told it was probably the battery so I replaced it, then I took the starter in and they said it was bad so I replaced that (starter and solenoid are all one unit on this car). I hope it is just something that is replaceable.

It should be something in the starting system. Please refer to the diagram below:

graphic

It should be one of the components in this system. We will follow the diagnostic steps to find out which one it is.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well that looks complicated...Anyway, I will try the test light tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for your input. I will keep this open for tomorrow.

Okay, talk to you tomorrow