Triston
Triston, MASTER ASE CERTIFIED
Experience:  5 Yrs. exp. ASE certified specalize electrical,brakes, a/c driveability

2005 ford f-350: super duty..4x4..the front u-joints and ball joints

2005 ford f-350 super duty 4x4- i want to know how to change the front u-joints and ball joints
Category: Ford
Expert:  Triston replied 5 years ago.
good luck. i hope i helped and please accept my answer. thanks T-MAN

Special Tool(s)

Ball Joint - Lower

Removal

Remove the wheel knuckle.
Place the wheel knuckle into a suitable vise.
If equipped, remove the ball joint grease fitting.

Remove the snap ring.

Using the special tools, remove the ball joint.

Installation

Clean the wheel knuckle ball joint bore.
Using the special tools, install the ball joint.

Install the snap ring.

Caution: Do not over tighten the ball joint grease fitting. If removed, install ball joint grease fitting.
Install the wheel knuckle.

Removal

Remove the wheel knuckle.
NOTE: Always remove the lower ball joint first. Remove the lower ball Joint.

Installation

Clean the wheel knuckle ball Joint bores.

Install the lower ball Joint.
Install the wheel knuckle.

Disassembly
Initial disassembly

CAUTION: Do not, under any circumstance, clamp the driveshaft in the jaws of a vise or similar holding fixture. Denting or localizing fracture can result, causing driveshaft failure during vehicle operation. Place the driveshaft on a suitable workbench. Do not damage the tube.

NOTE: If components are not marked and installed incorrectly, driveline imbalance can occur. Index-mark the driveshaft components.

Remove and discard all four of the snap rings.

Clamp the special tool in a vise. Bearing cup removal

NOTE: If necessary, use a pair of pliers to remove a bearing cup that falls to press out all the way. Remove the bearing cups and the flange.
1 Position the flange in the special tool.
2 Press out a bearing cup.
3 Rotate the flange 180 degrees.
4 Press on the spider to remove the remaining bearing cup.
5 Remove the flange.

Final disassembly

Repeat Bearing cup removal in this procedure to remove the remaining bearing cups and the spider from the driveshaft.
Clean the yoke area at the end of the driveshaft. Assembly Bearing cup installation
NOTE: Install the Universal Joint Kits as complete assemblies only. Do not mix components from other kits. Install a new spider and bearing cups.
1 Start a new bearing cup in the driveshaft yoke.

Check the needle bearings for correct positioning.
2 Position the new spider in the driveshaft yoke.
3 Position the driveshaft yoke in the special tool.
4 Press the bearing cup to just below the snap ring groove.

Repeat to install the new bearing cup on the opposite side of the driveshaft yoke.
Flange installation

Inspect the flange. Install a new flange, if necessary.

Install the new bearing cups and the flange.
1 Start a new bearing cup in the flange.

2 Position the flange on the spider.
3 Position the assembly in the special tool.

Repeat to install the new bearing cup on the opposite side of the flange.
Final assembly

NOTE: Use the yellow snap rings supplied in the kit to assemble the universal Joint (U-joint). If difficulty is encountered with the yellow snap rings, install the black snap rings. Remove the driveshaft from the special tool, and install the four new snap rings.

CAUTION: Do not strike the bearings. Check the U-Joint for freedom of movement.
If binding, strike the yoke with a brass or plastic hammer.

Triston, MASTER ASE CERTIFIED
Experience: 5 Yrs. exp. ASE certified specalize electrical,brakes, a/c driveability