Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

I have a 2003 ford f250 6.0 diesel runs rough when cold and

Customer Question

I have a 2003 ford f250 6.0 diesel runs rough when cold and no power,after warm up runs ok,the truck is not as fast as it was when I purchased it,it has a 156k on it, i purchased it with a 125k.Please help,I have replaced the fuel filters 2 times still did not fix problem.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 years ago.

Has the PCM been updated to the latest calibration?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No i have not Updated the PCM to the latest Calibration,What dose this calibration do for it.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 years ago.

It adresses the hard start cold problem on most trucks,it sends voltage to both coils on the injectors to heat them up and get the oil moving in them,this a major problem in cold weather,Ford calls it stiction,this stops the injector from pusling and operating properly.

There is also a chance you have one or more defective injectors as the early 6.0l had a real problem with bad injectors after high mileage.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can I calibrate the PCM myself and if not what dose it cost.where is the PCM located,what dose PCM stand for.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What dose this site cost if the $9 dollars is just a deposit,their is nothing with the acual cost on it or am i missing something.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 years ago.

Most dealerships charge 1.2 hrs for a reprogram and it can only be done at a Ford dealer.PCM stands for Powertrain Control Module.The PCM on the 6.0l is behind the battery on the drivers side.The $9.00 is all it costs as an expert we get half of that.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX keep you posted onthe repairs
Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 years ago.
Okay.