Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

1997 ford f150: 4.6l v8.I was backing..under load..stalled..coil packs

Customer Question

I have a 1997 ford f150, 4.6l v8.I was backing over some ramps that had collapsed, I was using the gas and the brake at the same time so it was under load when it just stalled. no warning or anything it just quit. I have checked/replaced the coil packs-emg.fuel shutoff-all fuses/relay's i can find. I have checked all the fuses I can find,replaced the fuel pump,traced every wire I could find front to rear and still won't start. Alls it does is crank over. I had a 90's taurus wagon one time and had a problem like this and found a single fuse undr the dash that was blown, i replaced it and everything worked fine. does my truck have one hidden somewhere?? I t almost seems that it has a ground or fuse/power problem... what might you suggest??
Category: Ford
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer!

Check the fuel pump inertia switch.. it most likely tripped when the truck fell off.

It is on the passenger side kick panel, you will have to remove the plastic 'trim' to see it.. once you are in there, you will see the inertia switch, just push the button to reset it.

Here is a pic of how it looks:

If you need anything else, just let me know!Laughing
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the inerta switch is the emergeny shutoff swith as mentioned in the question( i couldn't remember the actual name ) and it works. its been test and or replaced...any other suggestions??
Hmmmm.... does the pump run at all, when you try to start it?
Does it run with starting fluid sprayed in the intake?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i just replaced the fuel pump (new) it is supposed to be a very quiet(noisless) pump, so i cannot hear it. I tried a little starting fluid, but it did not make any difference, mike

Hmmmm... there is no spark, then.
Is the theft light on, or anything like that?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

no anti-theft devices. there is power going thru the system and to the coils and injectors. it sounds like trying to start an old car that had the coil wire removed...mike

Hmmm.... This is something I would have to be there to figure out, myself.

I have a good idea who might be able to help you, though.

Hang in there (don't lose hope, lol), they will come help you as soon as he see it.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

ok, thx.

I have done everything I can possibly think of from bumper to bumper and have been trying to get it going for 3-4months now and am most definitly frustrated...

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 years ago.

Hello Customer'm Chris, a current Ford Lincoln Mercury employee.

Thanks for visiting Just Answer. I will do my very best to help you resolve your concerns.

Do you have a bright blue intense ignition spark?

Do you have injector pulse?

Does this vehicle have a theft light?

What is the fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

no spark at the plugs, there is power to the coil packs and to the connector next to each plug.(injector plug???)

There doesn't seem to be any pressure in the fuel system.

There is not a theft system on this truck.

I have been working on this today and have found that the wiring pigtail coming off the fuel pump has no power to it. there are 4 wires in a round connector. if I unplug the connector there is power to the yellow and pink wires none to the other two, but when you plug the connector together the power stops flowing.

I have tested every fuse under the dash and under the hood that I have been able to find. I even connected a cable from the neg. side of the battery to the frame to see if it need a different ground. I pulled 2 plugs to see if they had any spark, they did not. I even tried cleaning the ground for the coil packs didn't help.

Ok here is what is needed for spark.

Here is your fusl pump circuit so you can find out where you not getting power

Here is your vehicle specific ignition setup to determine why your not geting spark.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thx chris, but i have a book that has these schematics in it I have a chilton manual for the 97-00 p/u's-expedition-navigator. I think my son is going to haul it into a shop to get it looked at because I am disabled and not supposed to be doing this stuff....thx anyway
I assume you found everything in the diagrams from ford or chiltons to show it all to be working correct but still not working.