breakaway500, 35 years as an auto mechanic
Experience:  Own my own auto repair shop for over 16 years,same location

2005 Expedition: high way speeds..runs fine..spark plugs..coils

2005 Expedition, motor stumbles when on upward inclines at high way speeds, otherwise runs fine. Replaced all spark plugs and coils. 128K miles
Category: Ford
Expert:  breakaway500 replied 7 years ago.
Are you getting a check engine light come on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Very recently that did that happen once and the light stayed on for 30 seconds. During this short peroid the missing was severe, no power or acceleration. I was traveling about 70 mph at the time and I just babied the accelerator until the probelm went away.

Continued to drive for another two hours and the light or severe probelm did not occure again. I did however feel that if I were to really accelerate the car it would not respond well. Air filter is clean, fuel filter has been changed. Noticed gas cap will not ighten just clickes and spins around and around?

The gas cap is normal.That's how they are today.
It would be very helpful to see what the trouble codes are in your ecm. Discount parts stores will scan your truck for free.
I am leaning toward an intermittent problem with the mass air flow sensor.This is a critical component of the injection system and tells the ecm how much air is coming into the engine so it can adjust the fuel flow accordingly.It is mounted between your air filter box and the throttle body.
If its dirty,they make a cleaner for the MAF sensor.If it is defective,it needs replacement. Mark