Steve S
Steve S, Ford Technician
Experience:  10 years in Ford Dealership, Certified in: Auto Trans, Diesel Engines, Climate Control, Electrical D

I have a 2003 6.0 powerstroke. It cranks but will not start.

I have a 2003 6.0 powerstroke. It cranks but will not start. I have verified all fuses are good, changed both fuel filters, verified fuel pump is running when key is turned on. Could it be a cam shaft sensor or a glow plug sensor
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve S replied 7 years ago.
HI thereCustomer The glow plug would only make it difficult to start when very cold out and after awhile it should start either way, I do not think that the cam sensor or the glow plugs have anything to do with it. But do you have access to a scan tool? Did the truck just quit going down the road? Is the check engine light on? Could I have the VIN number to look up some info? Steve
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
vin 1FNTNX21P73EC59617. Do not have access to scan tool, but would buy one if need be. Can you recommend one. Engine light is not on. I have gone duck hunting that morning and was ready to leave. Walked to truck and started it up to take to edge of pond to pick up all my gear. shut off engine. After loading my gear approx 15 minutes, tried to start and all it would do is crank. I think I felt a small bump in the ignition when I tried to crank it.
Expert:  Steve S replied 7 years ago.
Well I hope that you atleast had fun hunting I live in New york and we just got done with deer season I LOVE it. Anyway I am going to look up some info on the no start. Unfortunetly these trucks have a high pressure oil system concerns and that caused a no start because the injectors would not fire. But the only real way to check the oil pressure would be with a scan tool that could look at some specific data. I will get back to you soon. Also is it cold where you live? Steve
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It's been getting into the high 20's low 30's at night, but our days have been anywhere from 48 to 70. How much do these scan tools cost ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I borrowed a reader from a friend and these are the codes that came up. P0402, P132, P228, AND U0105. This reader is a super chip programmer. I was told that it is locked to his vehicle, but it would still read my codes...
Expert:  Steve S replied 7 years ago.
Can you look at the data from the sensors? Steve
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No this device does not look at that. It will only recover the codes i listed earlier.
Expert:  Steve S replied 7 years ago.
Hi I have looked and the only code that I can find is the p-132 which is for the turbocharger control system. The po402 is for the EGR system I cannot find the p228 are you sure on this one? I want to know about the sensor readings because I would like to know what the high pressure oil system is doing. Steve
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes sir it is a P2287 NOT P 228. Sorry for the mix up.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
any information
Expert:  Steve S replied 7 years ago.
Hi again I have included the list of codes from the Ford manual and as you can see they skip over any code p2287 so if you look at the other codes around that one you can see that they have to do with the ICP (injector control pressure) being at some sort of fault. And that is why i believe that you have something bad with the high pressure system. This sensor is what monitors the pressure. They did also have some concerns with the sensor and the connector themselves. It is a very hard spot to get to as it is pretty much under the turbo on the drivers side. If you can somehow get back there then you could atleast check the connector. But without a scan tool you cannot actually see what that sensor is reading. Steve
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The icp sensor was chaned about 10 mos ago. Could it be faulty already.
Expert:  Steve S replied 7 years ago.
What were the symptoms it was changed for? Steve
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it was leaking oil and they also changed the #8 fuel ink