davehop
davehop, Ford Technician
Experience:  Fully certified in all phases of automotive repair as recognized and certified by Ford Motor Company
14289869

2006 ford freestar: V6..coil pack still no spark on only this plug.

Customer Question

I have a 2006 ford freestar V6 has no spark on number 2 plug changed the plug,wire,coil pack still no spark on only this plug.
Category: Ford
Expert:  davehop replied 6 years ago.
It is very odd that you would have changed the coil pack, and still have only one dead hole, how did you check for spark, and what size engine 3.8L, or 4.2L?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
4.2L and I agree but that is what I have
Checked with a spark checker other cycl's checked okay
Also ohmed coil pack it ohmed ok but still installed the new one just to be sure
cycl 2 still dead.
Expert:  davehop replied 6 years ago.
you have one large coil pack or six individual coils?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
One large coil pack
Expert:  davehop replied 6 years ago.
Ok then there are 4 wires going to the coil pack in the connector, 1 has power with the key on, the other 3 are trigger signals from the pcm and will be grounded to fire the coil, do you have a test light?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No but I can get one or could I use a timing light.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
or I have a meter if I could use that
Expert:  davehop replied 6 years ago.
No a timing light is not needed, obtain a test light and do the following, unplug the coil pack and turn the key to the on position, hook the test light to the negative battery terminal and probe the wiring of the coil connector, one of the wires will light the light when touched, probably the red/green one if I remember correctly, and that is your hot wire and is supposed to always have power with the key on, then hook the test light to the positive battery terminal and touch the other three wires one at a time while cranking over the engine, the light should blink indicating a spark signal. If any of the wires doesn't cause the light to blink then we have found a problem if they all blink, then you have another bad coil, or I would think you have something else causing your missfire, because if the signal to fire #2 cylinder is missing, then #6 would also be missing, it fires 2 cylinders at the same time. So if you definately only have a miss on the #2 cylinder, and not on #2 and #6, then prove out the wiring and pcm as being ok by doing the above. Then let me know the results and we can go from there, I will be gone at work til 5 pm tonight so hopefully by then we can continue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I got the test light but won't be able to test the points until tomorow
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I check 6 for spark it has spark 2 doesn't

plug test

test light hooked to grd

1 wire light lit with key on

test light hooked to pos

3 wires flash light when van is turned over

Expert:  davehop replied 5 years ago.
all checks out ok, it needs a new coil, please do not use aftermarket parts, or else you are asking for trouble.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Before I go buy another coil there's nothing else that can cause this right.

Just what's the odds of both coils failing on number 2 cylinder

I've ruled out the plug wire by moving it to another location.

Expert:  davehop replied 5 years ago.
If you are using aftermarket parts I can't possibly believe that a new one is as good as a new factory one, just from past experiences, but we have the spark signal, we have fuel, I am going to assume that you don't have low compression in that cylinder, because you would still have spark, so the only thing I can be sure of is that if the #6 coil tower is sparking, and the #2 tower is dead, and you are certain that there is no spark, then the coil is crapped out even new, aftermarket parts are junk.
davehop, Ford Technician
Experience: Fully certified in all phases of automotive repair as recognized and certified by Ford Motor Company
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Davehop I replaced the coil pack again with a Genuine Ford Part cars runs perfect now.

I've added a 25.00 bonus Thanks Again

Expert:  davehop replied 5 years ago.
Great job, like I always say factory parts are far superior to aftermarket stuff.
Expert:  davehop replied 5 years ago.
Please leave feedback if my assistance was helpful.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks was very helpful