John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience
7591113

Hoe do I replace the solenoid pack in my 04 Explorer 5R55 trans?

Customer Question

Hoe do I replace the solenoid pack in my '04 Explorer 5R55 trans?
Category: Ford
Expert:  deckerdt replied 5 years ago.
It is accessible by removing the pan from the transmission, remove the negative battery cable first, you will need some tor-x sockets, replace the filter while you are there
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry, I knew it was under the pan and I have TORX sockets.

Background info -- My '04 EB Explorer has the dreaded transmission problems of delayed shifting, hard shifts, etc.

I read online that the problem is related to the solenoid pack and it's relatively easy to replace. I can't find the Ford part number for a "Solenoid Pack" as my Ford factory service manuals don't list anything by that name.

Again, I know it's under the pan but I'm not sure exactly what it looks like, that why I asked how to replace it. I am also going to change the shift solenoid if you think that's a good idea. Thanks for your help.

Al

Expert:  deckerdt replied 5 years ago.
I do not mean to be a critic but I would recommend a transmission shop for this problem this sounds like it is much deeper than solenoids, the vehicle controls the shift timing and feel.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
All I asked you to do was to advise me HOW to replace the solenoid pack. Please pass this question on to someone who can respond. Thanks.
Expert:  deckerdt replied 5 years ago.
typically when the trans has an issue the computer will go into a fail safe mode, which will delay the shift timing and cause harsh shifts, if the trans is shifting the solenoids are working. What you need to find out is why the computer commanded fail safe mode. It needs a computer diagnostic. A slip error, converter clutch slip or something along those lines wlii cause this problem. There are alot of issues the trans can have, most result in the trans needing overhauled. Don't change the solenoids for this problem you will be wasting your time
Expert:  John Mc replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I am John, a Ford dealer technician.

I hope I can help solve your problem quickly and accurately.

Click here for solonoid pack instructions. You are correct this can cause the issues you describe. The shift solonoids are all part of the solonoid pack. I believe the basic part number for the solonoid pack is 7g383. Your local ford dealer can get the rest from that number.

Thank you,

JustAnswer Expert

John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience: 19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience
Expert:  deckerdt replied 5 years ago.
what is the mileage by the way